Tan cleaning patches

Varmint Hunter

I've got a 338 RUM that isn't shooting quite as well as it should. I figured that maybe I wasn't getting the bore as clean as I thought. I ran several patches of Montana Extreme through the bore, brushed it well and ran several wet patches again.

Next, I dry patched the bore before filling it with Wipe-Out. After letting the W-O sit in the bore for several hours I pushed through a dry patch. No blue whatsoever but got distinct tan streaks on the patch. Black, blue and green are pretty common with most chemical cleaners, but tan?

Anyone ever see this before? The barrel is a new Broughton 5C.

Sounds to me like still some burnt powder down in the grooves. Not enough to create BLACK streaks..but still some remnants.

Ive used Wipeout along with a plastic bristle brush for scrubbing the bore at times..

I see tan and grey in addition to the standard black from time to time. I have associated this with different powders. Not firm on this, just a suspicion.

I'd let the WO, if not using the accelerator, set over night and see what she says.

I see tan and grey in addition to the standard black from time to time. I have associated this with different powders. Not firm on this, just a suspicion.

I'd let the WO, if not using the accelerator, set over night and see what she says.

I've used the "accelerator" in the past but I'm reluctant to use it in my custom barrels after reading that it can etch barrel steel. I can't confirm this , it's just something I read on the net and rather not take a chance.

Left WO in for another 4 hours and patches came out clean. I wonder if using two different cleaners in succession lead to the tan residue. Hmmmmm

I've got a 338 RUM that isn't shooting quite as well as it should.
No blue whatsoever but got distinct tan streaks on the patch. Black, blue and green are pretty common with most chemical cleaners, but tan?

Anyone ever see this before? The barrel is a new Broughton 5C.

G'Day Fella's,

Varmint Hunter, I don't want to sound alarmist but is it possible, that the Tan color is RUST?

Doh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

Varmint Hunter, I don't want to sound alarmist but is it possible, that the Tan color is RUST?

Doh!
Homer

I certainly hope not. I'm very careful with my barrels and always dry-oil-dry the bores after cleaning and before returning the guns to the rack. I would be very surprised if there was any metallurgy problem that would lead to rust.

I think rust is an unlikely source of the streaks but, as the saying goes, "never say never".

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.