Cleaning Rods

I've got several cleaning rods, but I really only use the Tipton Deluxe Carbon Fiber rod in my rifles. I believe the tip is brass, but I don't worry about false positives. At least I didn't until you mentioned it…🥺
Mark take a cleaning patch and put some copper solvent on the patch and rub it on the brass where the jag screws in and it will turn blue just like with copper.I fought that rears ago and bought a Tetra rod with a painted brass end just to check and it don't do that.

Here is a rod I really like but at 73.00 it's a bit spendy.
I would need a 30 caliber size 44 inches long

Last edited:
Love my tipton carbon fiber. Only rods I use. I use bore tech jags so there is no false indication of copper, but then the bore scope is the way to check that out. I'm attaching a pic of an 03 sprinfield a guy brought me. He swore it was clean because it was cleaned with Hoppes #9 and he was getting clean patches out of it. He brought it to me and here is a bore scope pic. Turned out to need a new barrel. Sorry, got off topic

Attachments

• 03before1.JPG
    03before1.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 67
Carbon with ball bearing handle and the handle can move (lock) with the length of the rod so the rod doesn't bend.

Edit:
Also make sure that you are using the correct carbon rod diameter matched to your caliber of the barrel.

Attachments

• Cleaning rods.jpg
    Cleaning rods.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Carbon with ball bearing handle and the handle can move (lock) with the length of the rod so the rod doesn't bend.
Coyote Shadow Tracker I heard many years ago that more barrels were damaged from poor cleaning products and poor cleaning practices than shooting.I bet that is still true.