Case cleaning routine...

I have heard from a few different shooters that you don't really want to get the cass too polished,it can actually cause accuracy problems.David Tubb recomends only tumbling about every 4th firing,or whenever they get excessivley dirty,he said mainly just focus on keeping the primer pockets and necks clean.That's why I just use a rag dampened with Sea Foam(carbon remover) and wipe off the carbon around the outside neck and shoulder area,then brush out the primer pocket and inside neck.My cases won't win any beauty contests,but it works for me.:)

I have heard from a few different shooters that you don't really want to get the cass too polished,it can actually cause accuracy problems.David Tubb recomends only tumbling about every 4th firing,or whenever they get excessivley dirty,he said mainly just focus on keeping the primer pockets and necks clean.That's why I just use a rag dampened with Sea Foam(carbon remover) and wipe off the carbon around the outside neck and shoulder area,then brush out the primer pocket and inside neck.My cases won't win any beauty contests,but it works for me.:)

That is what I love about shooting and particularly reloading!! What one person swears by someone else will tell you to, absolutely, never do! I think this is why it is important to work out what works best for you and stick with it.....perhaps it is my weakness that I just enjoy trying lots of different approaches but I realise that, in the long run, this probably is not the best way:D

woods,
I ve done the steel wool but not the mica. Using the steel wool on a bore brush, I get some very buttery smooth seating, which doesn't seem to agree with me. I like to feel some resistance in seating. One thing I've been able to do is manipulate my seating die enough (Lee)that I can get good consistent seating depths (+/- .0005) when using brnz brush only, so I don't know if the mica would be for me at this point. (You may be at a different level from me altogether anyway :D).. looks good.

Back to topic – my cleaning regiment:

Wipe necks with slightly damp rag
Decap and neck size
IOSSO 3-5 min,
Then rinse real good with water, brushing out necks
Dry overnight….
Bronze brush to clean inside case necks (1-2 pass max.)
Steel wool outside necks and shoulders

Simple as pie, doesn't look great but does good for my purposes.

zigliss,
That makes sense about not exposing your resizing dies to grit. I did not think about that. I guess I have to buy a decapping die now, thanks:rolleyes:

Woods

How did you make the picture so it would magnify with the mouse wheel? That is a wonderful picture technique.

???

I'd like to take credit for that but didn't even know about it. I am a genius and not even smart enough to realize it!

Must be something in your computer or maybe a special feature of Photobucket.

It doesn't do it with my mouse wheel.

I second what KQ guy says. I believe you can get cases too clean. From what I understand if they are too polished and shiny, there is less friction between the chamber and cartridge on expansion during firing. This allows the case to slip ever so slightly back putting extra force on the bolt.

Never tested the theory though. I don't put stock in anything w/o hard data, but I do take it into consideration.

Gotta love those pretty cases though... Just probably not the weak link in the chain

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.