case cleaning

gei

What is everyone using for a tumbling media, I am tired of taking media out of primer pockets & holes

I just use the regular stuff and while I am watching TV, I will use a decapping rod and pin from an old die to poke the media out of the flash holes.

IOSSO case cleaner. Soak 2-3 min, strainer out, rinse with dishwash soap and warm water, tap out excess and lay out over night to dry. Then when finalizing case prep, bronze brush the inter case neck to clean any excess up, works great for my needs.
OR, try just tumbling with primers in

I soak my brass in 50% vinegar for a couple hours.

Rinse and dry.

I go to the local Petsmart and buy some lizard bedding. It is just crushed walnut, cheaper than the fancy reloading crushed walnut.

Run it in the tumbler for a couple hours.

Neck size and pop the primers out.

Last edited:
I buy walnut hull blasting media by the pallet from sand blasting supplier. For small jobs I use a vibratory cleaner. For large jobs I bought a plastic bowled cement mixer (with electric motor)and removed the paddles. Made a box with wire screen for seperating cases and media. I add mineral spirits to my media. I use a high presure air hose to clean out media in primer pockets and cases. Primer pickets are cleaned with a small wire brush in a drill chuck.
Rustystud

I tumble my brass before sizing, then size, do the primer pockets, trim & tumble again. If I'm reloading on my dillon, I just use a universal decapping die at the first station to make sure my flash holes are all clear.

i do not like to remove the primers after tumbling. reason is, the flash hole gets media in it and i have a difficult time removing the primers. i do like Bob said. i take the brass out on the couch, watch Sponge Bob Square Pants with the boy and clean out the holes with a small allen wrench.

I'm with Buffalobob on this one.

I keep it simple and use a decapping assembly as I take each one out of the tumbler. Sure it takes time, but anything worth doing is worth doing right. Plus, the money I don't spend on some fancy apparatus to do it for me goes to components.

I decap/size, hot bath, rinse, dry, tumble, and then punch out media from flash holes.

For extremely dirty brass I have been known to bathe and tumble (the brass, not me) before decap/sizing to prevent scratching the inside of the die.

Aftr tumbling,I use my air comressor w/ a air nozzle,110psi. air pressure will take care of all the little crumbs that might get left behind from the tumbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.