Cleaning Rods

Unless I looked wrong I don't see a copper-free brush adapter available for my old Dewey rods. Probably don't really need one. It's futile trying to get your bore copper free since if it ends up having copper when you clean it, it will likely end up with some copper in it next time out. If you get to the point where you still see trace copper cover the brush adapter with some clear tape. I plan to limit myself to using only those powders that have a copper fouling reducer added.

Unless I looked wrong I don't see a copper-free brush adapter available for my old Dewey rods. Probably don't really need one. It's futile trying to get your bore copper free since if it ends up having copper when you clean it, it will likely end up with some copper in it next time out. If you get to the point where you still see trace copper cover the brush adapter with some clear tape. I plan to limit myself to using only those powders that have a copper fouling reducer added.
GOOD FOR YOU. đź‘Ť

Coyote Shadow Tracker I heard many years ago that more barrels were damaged from poor cleaning products and poor cleaning practices than shooting.I bet that is still true.
Playing devil's advocate here. So you mean to tell me that a cleaning rod rubbing the bore causes more damage to the rifling than a bullet at 2800-2900 fps with an explosion behind it?

FWIW, I use tipton rods for my rifles and some big ole steel ones for my shotguns.

Playing devil's advocate here. So you mean to tell me that a cleaning rod rubbing the bore causes more damage to the rifling than a bullet at 2800-2900 fps with an explosion behind it?

FWIW, I use tipton rods for my rifles and some big ole steel ones for my shotguns.
Copper/gilding metal is softer than steel. The primary area of contact between the rod and the bore would occur in the throat area. Go on the assumption that that kind of contact can't be of benefit. Also since it's so easily done why not do it.

Years ago I attended a gun cleaning seminar put on by a gunsmith at a local LGS and he had 3 different barrels cut longways from crown to throat so you could see what poor quality cleaning products could do to a barrel.One had been cleaned with an aluminum rod as you could clearly see it in in the bore embedded in cracks and grooves.So it's what is left behind in the barrels from the rods that can cause damage was his message and that's when I bought my first Tipton rod.Now the end where the jag screws in is worn out and it comes out every now and then so I'm shopping for a new cleaning rod.Most likely a new Tipton as this has lasted over 20 years but getting ideas on anything and everything out there.Like Pro-Shot,Dewey,Montana Extreme and Tetra among others.
Thanks for all the ideas guys.

My jag unscrews every time I run it through the bore. A combination of opposing thread and barrel twists. If you have that issue you'd best screw the jag or brush adapter back on BEFORE pulling the rod back out. That small gap could end up eventually damaging the crown.

Glad to hear it's not only mine!
My Tetra don't unscrew but the Tipton does every time.I put some teflon tape on the threads and it helped for a while and then back to coming off again but it is around 20 years old I think.I have another Tipton for my 223 and 6.5 Grendel and it don't unscrew yet.Only 1 1/2 year old.
Try a little bit of teflon tape on the threads of the jag and see if it helps a little.
By the way I do re-screw the jag on before pulling it out of bore.

Glad to hear it's not only mine!
My Tetra don't unscrew but the Tipton does every time.I put some teflon tape on the threads and it helped for a while and then back to coming off again but it is around 20 years old I think.I have another Tipton for my 223 and 6.5 Grendel and it don't unscrew yet.Only 1 1/2 year old.
Try a little bit of teflon tape on the threads of the jag and see if it helps a little.
By the way I do re-screw the jag on before pulling it out of bore.
I suppose one could take a pliers and gently squeeze the end of the bore brush adapter so it's SLIGHTLY out of round, but the issue is that the barrel twist is the wrong direction. I just live with it.