Die cleaning

I got ya. I think I would try to at least get them soaking in some type of cleaner ASAP. Before the rust sets in. It won't take long. Just so you know. Here's a video that may help you out. The cleaning solution he used should be fine for you to use. I would buy some of that (VAPORUST) & a 5 gallon bucket & get them soaking.

Agreed. Get them in something that will prevent rust if you can't get to cleaning quickly. Depending upon the type of soot, it could be caustic or acidic, both of which could potentially damage your dies if exposed to moisture. Some type of penatrating oil would be good.

Start here soak overnight
Amazon product ASIN B00GRSOJSS Then the CLR overnight will cut the carbon everywhere. I use strikehold for storage. Prevents rust for months at a time where I live 1 mile from the ocean.

My recommendation is to hose them down with Seafoam Deep Creep. Dissemble and scrub with bronze brushes. Deep Creep gets carbon and rust as well as lubricating and preventing rust. It is all I use to clean anything but copper.
I went through one fire and that was one too many. Best of luck to you.

I haven't seen anything about that video where a person was trying to salvage an AR from a fire. Either my eyes are failing me but I swear I saw him pull the buffer and spring from the tube and the buffer was it was backward in the tube...I'm going back to view it again to be sure..

Has anyone ever had to clean soot from a house fire off of dies? All of my die sets have black soot on them and I would like to save them, if possible.
Yes! Mean Green from the dollar store or wally world. Spray, toothbrush a little, rinse in hot water, dry and lube. For the inside, twist a paper towel or thin rag, spray with Mean Green and twist inside the die. Works on the die boxes as well.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything about that video where a person was trying to salvage an AR from a fire. Either my eyes are failing me but I swear I saw him pull the buffer and spring from the tube and the buffer was it was backward in the tube...I'm going back to view it again to be sure..
Yes it was in backward. But listen to what he says. It's 4 videos total, I believe. And he does salvage the rifle & assembles it back the proper way. As he stated he would not use it as a self defense firearm. Although after test firing I see no reason why not after running a few thousand rounds thru it. And it has no hick ups. I would feel safe using it. But that's just me.

Last edited: