Die cleaning

Beaver78

Has anyone ever had to clean soot from a house fire off of dies? All of my die sets have black soot on them and I would like to save them, if possible.

Has anyone ever had to clean soot from a house fire off of dies? All of my die sets have black soot on them and I would like to save them, if possible.
I would try brake or carb cleaner. And then oil well. If it's only soot it should come off fairly easy. I would not be surprised to see warm water & dish soap work as well. Just be sure to dry & oil well. One shot would be the best I would think. Because you may use that when sizing cases. I have done some dies that sat out in a shed. They were in the dry. But they had old lube in them. Which helped to keep them from rusting I believe. You really don't have much to lose by trying to clean them.

I've read that CLR works well for removing carbon in barrels but not for carbon steel. I'm guess it's just the die body? I'd dissemble it and try it on that. Maybe just a bit of the top?

Sorry to hear that you had a fire. I can't imagine...

I'm kind of curious -- if they were in a case, did the cases melt? I keep my dies in their cases. I'd think for soot to get into the case, things must have been pretty bad. I cannot imagine that if the cases didn't melt, that very much soot got in?

Or was there water involved? Ugh....

I'm kind of curious -- if they were in a case, did the cases melt? I keep my dies in their cases. I'd think for soot to get into the case, things must have been pretty bad. I cannot imagine that if the cases didn't melt, that very much soot got in?

Or was there water involved? Ugh....
They were in cases in a file cabinet, but the cases started to melt. The firefighters were keeping their distance from that room. There was a lot of ammo popping.

View attachment 453329

Not yet, been sorting out other things.
I got ya. I think I would try to at least get them soaking in some type of cleaner ASAP. Before the rust sets in. It won't take long. Just so you know. Here's a video that may help you out. The cleaning solution he used should be fine for you to use. I would buy some of that (VAPORUST) & a 5 gallon bucket & get them soaking.

You need to post a few more times to earn your PM privilege's. I believe it's 10 , so make a few posts and then get ahold of me. I can help you with your problem.

M.

P.S. sorry to hear about the fire.