Talk me into or out of buying a suppressor, please.

Everyone is pretty good about wearing hearing protection at the range, but few of us wear it when hunting. How much is your hearing worth? I've also found that my groups tightened up when shooting with the can. You won't regret having one (or more).

Fireflyfishing, have you ever been around someone shooting with a can? If you are out doors and behind the rifle, no hearing protection should be needed. There are more benefits to using cans than just sound reduction. Just to name a couple; usually better accuracy, more enjoyment and less recoil.
BTW, your fish sure don't look like a Montana trout! LOL.
To be honest, only folks with 22lr at the range. They are very quiet. I try to go to the range when folks aren't there and when there are folks around nobody I've shot next to had one on a mag rifle.
I have a couple of buddies that have suppressors in jail right now. I'll see how it goes for them before I get lathered up buying one.

I catch decent sized fish here in Montucky too! Not quite as big as ocean fish though.

I'm the wrong person to comment, I have 6 pending right now. Honestly, if you have the money do it and if you don't than don't over spend because of the bogo deal. Those are frequent will happen again.

Everyone is pretty good about wearing hearing protection at the range, but few of us wear it when hunting. How much is your hearing worth? I've also found that my groups tightened up when shooting with the can. You won't regret having one (or more).
When I started using brakes, I started using ear pro in the woods while hunting. Only when taking the shot, of course.

This last season was my first hunting suppressed. Hunted with a 300 prc 24 inch barrel. CGS Helios QD TI can, 11.25 ounces. The rifle is such a pleasure to shoot with the can on. I had a brake on the rifle that was effective. Got my can out of jail and was sold right away. Recoil is about the same maybe a little more with the can but getting rid of the muzzle blast is priceless.
The 24 inch barrel with the extra length with the can didn't bother me at all. I hunted NW Montana with a lot of thick stuff and no big deal maneuvering the rifle around. For me I have the 300 PRC for the performance. I don't want to throttle it back by going g to a shorter barrel.
I really like the CGS Helios. Titanium construction, super modular, full auto rated, great multi use can. With that said I'm purchasing a Scythe Ti for a dedicated hunting can. At 8.25 ounces it's approaching g a third less weight than the Helios.
I shot a bull this year and as I was walking up to it, it hit me, wow...my ears aren't ringing !
I help out in a gun store that does a lot of suppressors. Yesterday had a guy come in saying he got his approval back that morning. The other guys were like what the hell. He had just purchased the can the day before. That was really way out of the norm, but what happened there. A solid average with this store is right at 6 months turn around.
The soo er you make the purchase the sooner you get it.

I had a time where two buddies had their girlfriends at the range. They were shooting ARs in 223. The girls would flinch and were not that happy! I asked him if the brake would come off and he did. I put my can on it and you would not believe how it changed the girls ! They were now all smiles and giggles! Made the guys happy too.
I still find it very hard to accept that I can go into a store and buy a pistol and walk out with it. Why can't we do that with an inanimate object that can do no harm (unless you swat someone with it) ? Why do we still have to go through all the BS and wait for 9 months to a year to get it? The ATFE is so backlogged they need a lot of help. I just betcha the folks there would love to have it stopped so they could get on with the protections they could be doing and not wasting time on this insanity.

I'm about to whip out the old credit card for the BOGO deal at Silencer Central.

It's a lot of money, and not too thrilled about the ATF having me on file.

I need y'all to talk me into it or out of it.
I have to admit they are pretty cool. They do serve their purpose. I think I'm the only one of my friends that doesn't have one. But I'm like I don't want to reach that deep into my pocket to get one. And I'm pretty sure that the government knows enough about me, I don't want to volunteer anymore inf.

Once you suppress you will never go back. I have 3. The best are the ones dedicated for a specific rifle. Multi caliber are good, but generally longer and heavier than a dedicated hunting. My next will likely be a full titanium direct thread. There are many good companies to choose from. I went SilencerCo initially and I haven't regretted it. The ASR brake and quick change mounting system are repeatable and accurate, but very heavy. That's why the next will be light and direct thread for one rifle.

I'm in the minority. I have one and hate it. I don't like the extra length it added to the rifle. Makes it a pain in the *** to carry through thick cover. I always wear my Sordins when shooting or hunting. I really like that they boost sound when I need it and compress the sound when I shoot. My suppressor sits in my safe and will probably never be put on another rifle.

I really like the Silencer Shop's customer service and online support. For example, I live in Wyoming, where there are few places to buy suppressors, but using their online system and support made it easy. I just drove to Jackson where they had a kiosk in a sporting goods store, that machine took my photo from my phone, and then took my fingerprints electronically, and then their system (and their admin guy) made it easy to walk me through getting a trust and getting the application finished CORRECTLY and submitted. They had a BOGO going then; and are currently offering a "free tax stamp" (i.e. $200 off)on select silencers. They also keep an updated "how long is it taking?" page here: https://www.silencershop.com/atf-wait-times

One thing that occurred to me about the wait times. If there truly have been over 1 million applications so far this year (as C-bass said) that would mean over $200,000,000.00 in tax revenues. If it costs an average of say $100,000.00 a year per federal employee (after benefits and retirement), that would mean ATF is pulling in enough $$ to employ 2000 people at no cost to the rest of the taxpayers.
Or, keep the same small number of employees and use the proceeds to fund other ATF projects, studies, conventions, etc. Like local PDs and DAs do with "seized" drug related cash and property.
A cash cow. And no consequences for their inefficiency.

Just hearing protection. Would be just general purpose target shooting and some hunting once in a while. Deer and coyote.

5.56 AR, 6.5 Grendel AR, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm PRC

Leaning towards the Banish 30
You can buy a lifetime of hearing protection for under 100.00.... if that's your reason....so DON'T DO IT! ( That being said....if I lived where they were legal.....I wouldn't ask opinions....I'd own 10 if them!)

I kicked it around for several years and 2 years ago purchased the banish 30 and 22. I was really looking forward to shooting without hearing protection and it's great for that but the added benefit I wasn't expecting was the reduced recoil. I've always enjoyed shooting my 300 WSM because the recoil isn't bad but the can made a significant reduction. It did change my poi but not my group size. A quick adjustment to zero and i was back in business. I shoot it on my AR as well and enjoy the range time a lot more. I found 22LR ammo at/under 1000 fps and really enjoy shooting my 22 practice rifle with almost no sound. Mini mags still give you the slight crack for breaking the sound bearier but still enjoyable without protection. Just wish I hadn't waited so long. You won't regret buying them.

I had a time where two buddies had their girlfriends at the range. They were shooting ARs in 223. The girls would flinch and were not that happy! I asked him if the brake would come off and he did. I put my can on it and you would not believe how it changed the girls ! They were now all smiles and giggles! Made the guys happy too.
I still find it very hard to accept that I can go into a store and buy a pistol and walk out with it. Why can't we do that with an inanimate object that can do no harm (unless you swat someone with it) ? Why do we still have to go through all the BS and wait for 9 months to a year to get it? The ATFE is so backlogged they need a lot of help. I just betcha the folks there would love to have it stopped so they could get on with the protections they could be doing and not wasting time on this insanity.
Why people put brakes on 5.56 is beyond me

A dedicated brake is unnecessary overkill for a 5.56 gas gun. A good flash suppressor is essential in low light engagements with varmints that shoot back. An appropriate can solves both.

Recent Posts