Talk me into or out of buying a suppressor, please.

Wow.
The stats.
I'm at 225 and I bet if I don't hear anything today it will be well into '24 before I do..
Grr
it took me almost a year to eFile Form 1 an SBR when the statistics suggested 30-45 days.
Funny thing is...I did two at the same time, and one of them was approved in like 100 days.

I'm about to whip out the old credit card for the BOGO deal at Silencer Central.

It's a lot of money, and not too thrilled about the ATF having me on file.

I need y'all to talk me into it or out of it.
Capital Armory has a BOGO going on too. If you haven't pulled the trigger you might want to check it out .

in 2014 there were 26 examiners. That number has fluctuated up and down slightly over the years.

Lets just assume it's the same...because "Government"
In 2023 there were 1,069,787 NFA Applications.
With 240 working days per year...(and let's be honest, Gov is taking off every holiday they can come up with)
That breaks down to each examiner processing 171 per day. Every day.
In a typical Gov 8 hour work day, that breaks down to a little over 21 per hour or 3.5 applications every 10 minutes.

all that and it still takes roughly 220 days per approval.

View attachment 524136View attachment 524137
Only be a few years and there will be as many suppressors out there as firearms. A good thing. I think you could make the case they're in common use to.

Go for it and don't think twice. My only suggestion is to look elsewhere and get something besides the banish 30. I think someone else suggested to look at capitol armory, they have a buy one get one for silencer co. Not much info on it yet but i just did the paperwork on the scythe, then you can get a free 22 can. Omega is hard to beat for all around and the harvester evo is a good cheap one. For flat out quiet the nomad L is it, the titanium version is just awesome for its size and weight.

There are some good points made about what you end up deciding on, make and model wise. Unfortunately, you don't really know what you don't know if you don't have any experience with them. My first one is long, wide, and heavy. Works great. But now I wish I'd gone shorter (or at a minimum lighter) for hunting.

I have desire to shoot anything non suppressed... The only scenario for me now that is making me rethink that is essentially longer range sessions.

Suppressors get VERY hot VERY quickly and give bad mirage off into your scope's line of sight. If I was going to be shooting long(ish) strings at the range I may consider going back to a brake. I'd prefer that to be a separate rifle though to keep the suppressor on my hunting gun.
I am in the same place regarding the heat mirage. Last week while at the range one of those ratta-tat-tat guys was heating up.is suppressor so much with rapid fire that I could smell it. I though to myself...".there's no way he can see through that mirage to make good hits at 500". Just about then, as I was sitting waiting for my suppressor to cool to reduce the mirage, ratta-tat-tat guy popped the trunk of his car and deployed a battery powder Dewalt fan. He placed it on low next to his suppressor and went about his business rapid firing shots at 500, with pretty good accuracy. Hate to admit I might have learned something from that guy, but I did. Thought I would share.

Some good advise here; and all say to pull the pin and buy it! I say buy at least two because once you shoot with a can; you will be so sorry you didn't get the second one!
It's absolutely crazy that we have to go through all this and wait and wait. There has be someone in D.C. with a brain and power to stop this stupidity. But, no, there isn't.
Back to the can. You will be amazed at how much more you will enjoy shooting with a can. No one here , I think, has talked about a Trust. You really should have a trust drawn up to put you and others on it. A guy in Bristol, Va. will make it for $100. (at least that's what I paid) and he will amend it later as you may need to add to it. No additional charge. Phone 276 206 9615, email [email protected]. Web site www.JohnPierceEsq.com.

I don't have a suppressor yet but have shot and tested several and will order some in 2024. Like many people, i didn't want to deal with the hassles, wait time and the ATF but so many people have them now and they are such a pleasure to shoot and hunt with. They are ideal in shorter barreled rifles like a 16 or 18 inch AR and a 16 to 22 inch bolt gun. For hunting, go with titanium like the banish backcountry which is about 6 inch long or the similar thunderbeast. The 7 to 11 inch and stainless steel cans are better in heavy recoil rifles but are more awkward to carry as they throw off the guns balance. For an AR, get a flow thru can like the hux 7.62 titanium. You can use a 308 suppressor on a 556/223 but can't use a 556/223 on amything larger. Standard cans suck on an AR as you will likely need an adjustable gas block and even then your gun and brass get dirty too quickly plus you will be inhaling Way too much gas for my liking. You can also use the hux on a bolt rifle, just they are a bit thicker and maybe a bit more "ugly". For accuracy, get a screw on suppressor, not a quick detach. The hux are designed to be used with their own brake or flash hider. The banish or thunderbeast generally come with 5/8x24 thread and screw directly to your barrel. If your barrel is 1/2 x 28 thread, you will need an adapter. Suppressors are ideal for night thermal predator hunting also. Also you should clean your rifles more often when shooting suppressed.

A good side port (3 to 4 ports) muzzlebrake generally takes out more muzzle jump and recoil than a light weight suppressor especially with 30 and 338 calibers and they balance the rifle better than a suppressor. Suppressors work ideally with short and mid-length magnums like the 6.5 saum, prc or SS, 6.8 western, 7 saum or SS, 300 saum or wsm or any 308 based, Creedmoor and BR cartridges; these also give good velocity in shorter barrels and have better barrel life than long action and long action magnum cartridges. Calibers like the 264 win mag, 26 and 2 nosler, 300 wby, 300 ultra, etc are not ideal with suppressors and short barrels. Think short powder columns, short or medium length actions, faster burning powders and sub 22 inch barrels when shooting suppressed. Longer barrels work too but the rifles just don't balance nicely. I hope that helps.

I too am on the fence like the OP. I've seen posts on this thread and heard elsewhere you still need ear pro with a suppressor in most cases. This makes them unattractive to me relative to the pain it is to obtain one. I'm also not impressed with the cost of them. Way too expensive for a baffled tube in my eyes. I'd rather spend the money on a new pistol, rifle, or ammo to feed my heard.
It costs me nothing right now to just wear ear pro and not have to develop new loads for an installed can. I like shooting my big mags with brakes. Makes them very gentle shooting.
To be clear, I'm not hating on cans nor anyone who buys them. To me, they don't qualify as a win in my cost/benefit analysis. Perhaps one day I'll get one, but I can wait and am fine without one for the time being.

Fireflyfishing, have you ever been around someone shooting with a can? If you are out doors and behind the rifle, no hearing protection should be needed. There are more benefits to using cans than just sound reduction. Just to name a couple; usually better accuracy, more enjoyment and less recoil.
BTW, your fish sure don't look like a Montana trout! LOL.