Taking two packs?

mmtx10

I plan on doing a BP hunt in CO and I was wondering if anyone hikes in with two packs? I have an Alps Outdoorz Commander and an Eberlestock X2. I think I will need to take more gear than the x2 can hold but don't want to hunt with the commander. Anyone try this or have a better solution?

I carry two packs. For long stays I use a Hide-A-Way Expedition pack frame and usually carry a Nimrod pack on it. I secure sleeping bag, tent, etc. to the expedition frame pack. This way I have a very good day pack with me for day trips. Used a setup like this for years.

Below pic is the frame pack with the Nimrod on top. There is a bear hide in the lower game bag. Not a good pic as it is in the back of a truck after dark.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• pack-01.jpg
    pack-01.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 87
This is an interesting topic because I try hard to only take one pack. I guess if you are setting up a spike camp and leaving most of what you bring in in one spot it might work out the way you describe. If you want to be mobile I think 1 pack is the way to go. Many of the new packs are expandable and can work well as your backpack and day pack and still haul out your meat. I guess it comes down to deciding if you want to use what you have or get a new pack. Either way will get the job done.

It depends on where I'm hunting and the style of the hunt. but generally when I elk hunt and set up a base camp, I like to have a daypack to hunt with. The framepack is too cumbersome to hunt with everyday where I elk hunt in really thick stuff. and they are noisy.

So to pack in, I just pack the day pack with the gear I want to hunt with, stuff it inside my frame pack, and then just load in the rest of my food, sleeping bag in the bottom compartment. Most of my buddies hunt this way too, and some of them strap their day pack to the outside of their frame pack for the hike in to leave more room for other stuff inside the frame pack. At that point it just comes down to personal preference for how you want to load your frame pack for the hike in.

I hunt with an Eberlestock Dragonfly. The Dragonfly can carry as much weight as my legs can (I've had it over 100lbs on a meat pack out). I use the integral fanny pack as a day pack. Works fine. Water bladder will go in the day pack.

I have a cheaper Cabelas pack that carries a bit less as the full pack, but the day pack has shoulder straps and is bigger. But my 31" waist isn't big enough to carry real weight in that pack, it won't stay over the hips right.

I only use one pack. If I need to go light and fast, but still have things like water, food, ammo etc, my pack's lid detaches into a large fanny pack. If you don't mind your buddies mocking you for wearing a fanny pack, it is a handy feature.

To me, my pack by itself should not be so heavy that I don't want to hunt with it when I have the bare bones in there, which is what you would have it if was a one day hunt. If you are going in on an extended trip, you're going to be setting up a spike camp anyways, and dropping almost all of the weight. I use a Tenzing 5000.

I will be going to the two pack route myself. I have a eberlestock dragonfly and a eberlestock gunrunner pack. I will carry everything including the gunrunner pack in my dragonfly pack. Set up camp and use my gunrunner pack for day hunting. If I down an animal, I will have to get the dragonfly pack to pack it out. I can probably fit a deer in the gunrunner pack but am not sure yet. Might have to strap a quarter or two on the side of the pack haha. If it's an elk, I will have to retrieve my dragonfly pack.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.