Taking a Contender to Canada

Hatrick

I have a 3 year planned bear hunt in New Brunswick. I would like to take my Thompson Contender in 35 Remington to hunt with. It has a 14" barrel. Will that be a problem?
Thanks, Tom

Received this email yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_5345.png
    IMG_5345.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 179
Short answer, yes it is a problem, you'll need a rifle or shotgun that's not restricted.

You can't hunt with restricted or prohibited firearms in Canada. Some handguns are prohibited, and any that aren't prohibited are restricted. That alone eliminates the possibility of hunting with any handgun in Canada.

Restricted firearms also include semi auto long guns with an OAL less than ~26" or a barrel less than ~18.5". I don't remember the metric measurements off the top of my head, but an 18" barrel is too short.

Last edited:
Short answer, yes it is a problem, you'll need a rifle or shotgun with a barrel that's a bit longer than 18".

You can't hunt with restricted or prohibited firearms in Canada. Some handguns are prohibited, and any that aren't prohibited are restricted. That alone eliminates the possibility of hunting with any handgun in Canada.

Restricted firearms also include long guns with an OAL less than ~26" or a barrel less than ~18.5". I don't remember the metric measurements off the top of my head, but an 18" barrel is too short.

The last time I checked the regs had a minimum rifle bbl length for a "modified" rifle to be 18". If a rifle was in its original configuration, the barrel could be shorter. Presumably a 16" barreled Marlin Trapper would be legal.

Bringing a handgun into Canada will most assuredly get you arrested.

True story:
A group of bear hunters shared a camp with my group in the northern most tip of Maine one year. One of the guys from the other group never made it to the camp. He took some shortcut that took him briefly in and out of Canada. He was bowhunting but brought a handgun for backup. He was arrested on the spot and held by Canadian authorities. The poor guy sat in jail until his parents got to Canada and made arrangements for him to be bailed out. The gun was forfeited and authorities said he would likely be banned from entering Canada for life. He still had to clear the criminal charges against him. It was an innocent mistake, but one that cost him dearly.

The last time I checked the regs had a minimum rifle bbl length for a "modified" rifle to be 18". If a rifle was in its original configuration, the barrel could be shorter. Presumably a 16" barreled Marlin Trapper would be legal.

Bringing a handgun into Canada will most assuredly get you arrested.

True story:
A group of bear hunters shared a camp with my group in the northern most tip of Maine one year. One of the guys from the other group never made it to the camp. He took some shortcut that took him briefly in and out of Canada. He was bowhunting but brought a handgun for backup. He was arrested on the spot and held by Canadian authorities. The poor guy sat in jail until his parents got to Canada and made arrangements for him to be bailed out. The gun was forfeited and authorities said he would likely be banned from entering Canada for life. He still had to clear the criminal charges against him. It was an innocent mistake, but one that cost him dearly.

Just looked it up, it's only semis that are restricted if the barrel is less than 470mm/18.5". Modified long guns with barrels under 18" are prohibited.

Just looked it up, it's only semis that are restricted if the barrel is less than 470mm/18.5". Modified long guns with barrels under 18" are prohibited.

I'm not sure how "semis" got into the discussion but I'm not in disagreement with you. The OP was asking about a single-shot rifle/pistol. I'm just stating what I researched and confirmed with the CBP guys at the Canadian border. But that was several years ago and things change all the time. Even the CBP guys aren't that sharp on gun regs and it's a good idea to have a current copy with you when you cross over.

I was told by a Canadian CBP officer that an 18" Marlin levergun would be illegal to cross with. That was an untrue claim but you're not in a position to argue.

Well, made the drive up and back. Border crossing was easy. My advice is have all your paperwork in order and travel with 2 retired police officers that have made this trip before. 1 more than 10 times. Rained the first 2 days and the wind was wrong for the stands. They made ground blinds. Hunted Wednesday evening first time. Settled in at 4:47 and the bear showed up out of nowhere at 7:20. I think it came out of the barrel. Checked for cubs and fired at 7:23. 20 minutes later the outfitter showed up with orange tape and a plastic sled. 100 yds later it was over. This is my first Bear. They make you carry your rifle to the stand in the case. Take a soft case also.
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0302.png
    IMG_0302.png
    2 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4531.jpeg
    IMG_4531.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4532.jpeg
    IMG_4532.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0303.png
    IMG_0303.png
    11.7 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0307.jpeg
    IMG_0307.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Canada requires that guns be cased while hiking in the dark, both at dawn & dusk. Unloaded too. Hunting whitetails in Ontario, we used gun socks for this purpose as they're compact, light weight & easily stored in a pack (ziplock bag due to silicone odor).

We heard stories of guys being unprepared and cutting the toe section off of longer boot socks! I guess if the action is covered then you're ok.

Recent Posts