Taking a Contender to Canada

Canada requires that guns be cased while hiking in the dark, both at dawn & dusk. Unloaded too. Hunting whitetails in Ontario, we used gun socks for this purpose as they're compact, light weight & easily stored in a pack (ziplock bag due to silicone odor).

We heard stories of guys being unprepared and cutting the toe section off of longer boot socks! I guess if the action is covered then you're ok.
Not true .

Our laws are pretty strange at times. As far as barrel lengths go, it seems to depend on what comes from the factory. Lots of 16 inch barrel lever guns on the market up here, even twelve in barrel Henry Mare's Leg can be purchased at major chains. Why a long barrelled Contender doesn't make it is a mystery to me.

Our laws are pretty strange at times. As far as barrel lengths go, it seems to depend on what comes from the factory. Lots of 16 inch barrel lever guns on the market up here, even twelve in barrel Henry Mare's Leg can be purchased at major chains. Why a long barrelled Contender doesn't make it is a mystery to me.
They told me the gun is legal, I just couldn't hunt with a gun with a barrel less than 18".
Tom

Not true .

I hunted black bears in New Brunswick for many years. We were advised by the outfitter to always unload the rifle and put it in the case at dark and to NEVER walk out with an uncased, loaded rifle. I always complied with that rule/law, whatever.

I normally travel with my rifles in a hard case but bring a soft case just for use in the field.

I was a birt more comfortable when hunting in Maine because there was no problem carrying a 44mag pistol there. One year I had a LARGE sow, who was with her cubs, climb my ladder stand in the total darkness. Even though I never fired a shot, I was at least able to defend myself had she come any closer. ( her head was between my boots.)

I have talked with friends in the RCMP, Conservation Officers, Firearms Officers and had email discussions with federal officials and it is my belief that our firearms laws are so complex nobody really knows them, and different people interpret them in different ways. If you contact any of them for an opinion get it in writing for your own protection.

OK....I have delt with Canadian Gun Laws for many decades.....

Just saying you want to take a 14" T-C to Canada is just no enough information....if its a pistol NO....if its a SBR NO the only legal way to own a 14" barreled gun with a stock....

18" barrel rifle is the only legal length rifle to take in to Canada....unless its a factory made gun....I know Canadians that have Remington 870's with 14" barrels also Winchester's Marlin's with 16" barrels a Factory made gun is a exception to the 18" barrel....but in USA a Remington 870 with a 14" barrel it would be considered a SBS and you could not transport it to Canada....you cannot even transport a SBS or SBR to a different State with out permission from the ATF in the USA....

If going to Canada Hunting it is best to stick to 18" minimum barrel on rifles and shotguns....theres less of a chance running into problems when crossing the Border....it's just not worth have a trip ruined or even loosing a gun....