Tactical Sling ?

edge

I am in need of a sling and have seen some tactical slings that look like they would work but wondered if anyone has used them.

I am carrying a mid-weight rifle 12 lbs.
I want the rifle to be somewhat hands free for bino work but at the ready for any close encounters, so a cross chest carry would be needed.
I also have some crawling and climbing and for this a middle of the back would be the preferred location.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

edge.

Edge-- take a look at this link-- http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...p;page=0#111789

May be what u're looking for. I have one similar to this, that i put together myself, and it's great for spot and stalk, crawling, etc. That snap u see in the link makes all the diff. in the world-- quick to adjust, holds tight over the back, on the belly, etc., and best of all it's easy to get out of once u arrive at the shooting spot-- no contorting needed. This snap system is easily installed yourself in just about any sling i've ever used.

[ QUOTE ]
I am carrying a mid-weight rifle 12 lbs.
I want the rifle to be somewhat hands free for bino work but at the ready for any close encounters, so a cross chest carry would be needed.
I also have some crawling and climbing and for this a middle of the back would be the preferred location.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Edge,

Don't know if you're referencing 'tactical' due to tactical situations. However for hunting I use a very unconventional but very comfortable sling that meets each of your criteria.

I carry an almost 12# rifle also.

I carry across the front.

I can pretty much instantly be in shooting position with a natural move. I jokingly say that I can miss 2 shots before the other guys get their rifles off their shoulders. Jokingly but sometimes accurate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The sling snaps so that the rifle will not shift while climbing western PA spoil piles or Idaho mountain shale out crops.

It remains in place with no intervention while walking etc.

The only down side is that bouncing binos clunk on the fore arm if not careful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Here's a pic.
332Dog-2-2-7-04-med.jpg

That's masking tape on the muzzle. not snow....

Roy in Idaho,

That certainly sounds like what I am looking for, what is the brand and model, if you don't mind.

thanks,

edge.

Edge,

I make them myself....

Send your address and I'll send you an early prototype version that I have. Was going to put it on that swat shop thinger that jimm started but this is better.

roy(@)randaenterprises.com

Roy

Roy in Idaho,

The sling arrived, and it is much more than I had anticipated. I expected a thin nylon web sling and instead I found a very nice leather sling complete with instructions.

I can't wait for the weekend to get out and give it a workout.

Thank you so much,

edge.

Your welcome,

Leather is the only way to go. As I said that was an early proto-type and have since switched from latigo to chap leather. Much more flexible. When that one is well oiled and worked a bit it gets a little smoother.

Also, again, watch those sling swivles. I took them off of a sling when one of them opened unintentionally. I threw them in to make the package complete.

Have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.