Shooting Sling Tutorial?

Misfire

Can/Will some of you more knowledgeable shooters post a shooting sling tutorial? Preferably, it would include a basic "Military Style" sling with pics and some discussion/explanation of proper hand positioning and sling tension.

I know a book could be written on the subject but I would like some direction for the use of a shooting sling from basic shooting positions for hunting applications.

I did do some searching and couldn't find the content I was looking for so if it is out there and I missed it, please post a link.

Thanks!

Thanks a million for the links! That is a great article.

I have a lot of questions but will refer to the book that you have linked above. Once I finish reading it I'll post up any questions that still remain.

(I actually got a PM from another member suggesting that I direct my sling questions to you. You found this thread before I was able to do so, so to the both of you I say Thanks!)

Chad

Cool. I enjoy the heck out of sling shooting. Watching a true "high master" long range rifleman work a good bolt match rifle is impressive. I shoot with those guys, and actually did earn my LR high master card, but I'm a long way from the top of the heap. I've also taught sling work to a number of LE/SWAT snipers over the years. Dad taught me how to use a sling. He was a match shooter in his day. The Marines really hammered it into me too. They still know how to shoot a rifle!

Where I really like the sling is in the field - it gives me another option, and a good one. A few years ago I made a 180 yard shot on a bull elk. Not a long one, but through a smallish "window" in the tree branches. Prone was too low, or I'd have rested the rifle on my backpack. The only thing that would work was a good solid sitting position. I took the few seconds needed to wrap my arm in the Turner sling, got into a good sitting position, steadied down and torched off the 7mm Rem mag.

The 175 Nosler Partition went where it was supposed to go. The bull took a few faltering steps and that part of the hunt was over. My hunting buddy was ecstatic about the shot, and I admit to being pleased to have had the skill to pull it off.

If you want an alternative to the traditional sling by Turner, take a hard look at the nylon shooting slings by Mike at Tactical Intervention. Wow - quite a sling! I don't think there's a better shooting aid than Mike's M24 quick-cuff sling.

Regards, Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.