T/C Icon bolt action rifle

Ian M

Guys, I have an image of the new T/C bolt action rifle but don't have a clue how to put it onto this site (I mentioned that I was asked by T/C to help in the development of this rifle didn't I - right after Winchester folded? Remember I asked a question a while back about the optimum bolt action design? Have been to the factory a few times on this, including a "secret" meeting in a very special gunshop in a sort-of western state with T/C R&D guys and some well-known gun-elfs).

Remember this post? Maybe you guys had some input into this new rifle and did not know it...

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post57353

Anyone willing to post it for me, or would you rather wait until the SHOT show to see the new super-gun?

Want to learn more - do a search on T/C Icon on yahoo or whatever.

You have my attention, I need pictures and details, I'm looking for a new rifle before next deer season and I wanna see what TC is gonna bring to the table.

Ian:

Here you go.

I had the distinct honor to participate in the development of this new rifle - from a blank piece of paper to a rifle that I did not want to put down!! Accuracy - 1.0" groups at 200 yards, wish I could have shot farther but that was all we had.
IanDSC_351.jpg

Takes a good buddy to hold the pumpkin when you are zeroing the new rifle. Not bad accuracy for 505 yards.
IanDSC_27.jpg

Screech,
Yes. Some info, not very comprehensive but interesting slipped out this week onto the internet. The guy who posted it removed it after being contacted by T/C. But someone else cut and pasted it onto 24 hour campfire's rifle section so there is some info out there. You can do a search on T/C Icon and you will get that link.

This new rifle is superb. I am shooting it in the above image. It is for real. Lots more info as I can provide it. Going to be nice for the Long Range community. We will be getting a new option for our type of hunting. Reason I am not going to go into details right now is that there are still some significant design decisions being made, might as well get the final specs. Will all be finalized pretty soon, it will be at the SHOT big time. Also the .30 TC will be discussed, but again it is still being worked on. So is the slickest new muzzleloader design ever released - even slicker than the Omega!!! The T/C guys have been very busy this year, I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with them on some of these rifles etc.

I put this over on KIFARU's site,
Pretty exciting new rifle - you are right, I have shot it a bunch. I have been in on the development of this new rifle since it was a blank piece of paper. Shortly after Winchester shut down I was asked to help with this project, pretty exciting to have such an opportunity. Even more exciting to have the rifle in your hands - I did not want to put it down it is so nice. Absolutely superb, handling, accuracy, innovations, built like a typical T/C product - simple, robust, fine tolerances, innovative, very few parts, gives the shooter what he wants. Walnut and blued steel initially - the wood is beyond good. Guys who are on this project are doing it right, amazing ingenuity and determination to design a winner. The release that got out does not have much for details because the guy who wrote it had never handled an Icon, not many guys have. They will be at the SHOT show, and they will be right up there as far as stealing the show.

An interesting basis for this rifle - if it is good enough for the tactical guys it will be a hell of a hunting rifle. The other way around does not always work, as can be seen with the many problems of the Remington M-700. Taking a deer rifle to war is not a great idea. I was fortunate to be in a position to arrange a bunch of input from some of the best tactical rifle folks in the U.S., was a blast moderating a meeting with those guys and the T/C R&D guys.

Understand that there will be another new bolt action rifle, this time from an old-line handgun maker who has dabbled in rifles in the past - not Colt. We've never had it so good!!!

Lots of stuff planned for this new puppy - stay tuned. Patience is a virtue!!

So there arent gonna be any magnum calibers in these rifles? and no stainless/synthetics in the near future?

I dont know why they keep making blued rifles. If they wanted that look they should teflon coat the SS. I only buy blued rifles. So far other than the grouping(which is one prototype gun) there was nothing substantial posted about it other than a pretty stock.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know why they keep making blued rifles. If they wanted that look they should teflon coat the SS. I only buy blued rifles. So far other than the grouping(which is one prototype gun) there was nothing substantial posted about it other than a pretty stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know why they continue to make them, yet that's all you buy? And if you go to the 24 hour campfire theres a good bit more info than posted here

That rifle in the picture had a much tougher coating on it than blueing I believe it might have been Ceracote. No doubt stainless, fluting, composite stocks and a few other popular features will be added. You have to start somewhere and blued walnut is a nice place to begin. I can tell you that if you saw the quality of the wood and the assembly you would probably want that rifle.

That piece cut and pasted in 24 Hours is very vague, the guy worked from second-hand info and did not hit important stuff like extractors, ejectors, bolt-stops and releases, type of rifling, interchangeable bolt handles and future models that are planned. Patience is a virtue, some neat stuff is going to happen...

[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you that if you saw the quality of the wood and the assembly you would probably want that rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more of a stainlss/synthetic guy to tell you the truth, one of those is too pretty for me, I'd be too scared of messing it up to use it much

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.