T/c encore breech plug modification

I should also add with mine and the crush rib and 250 Barnes tmz I've got to put a very high amount of down pressure when loading it. Which isn't a problem because that's how it seems to like them but I doubt my primer is unseating my load any with the amount of seating pressure I use.

Bet you were using 777. With 777 that is a huge issue. Go to blackthorn 209 powder. 777 requires special 1/4 power mizzleloading primers but you still get that crud ring with 777. Bh 209 and regular primers is the way to go.
First chance I get I'm switching

I recently had found the small steel rings at the far end of the breech plug (opposite the primer) had come apart and was thinking of switching to the vari flame breech plug but now I'm not sure.
emailed TC and they are sending me new ring in the mail. Still waiting.
View attachment 164658
I didn't notice any rings on my plug but I wasn't looking. Also I'm not having blow back or leaking issues yet. I only have about 20 shots through my gun if that.

I should also add with mine and the crush rib and 250 Barnes tmz I've got to put a very high amount of down pressure when loading it. Which isn't a problem because that's how it seems to like them but I doubt my primer is unseating my load any with the amount of seating pressure I use.
Too much energy:
I have no idea who started the 209 craze but I believe that it provides way more energy than is required to get the job done. Try this experiment for yourself. Take your ramrod with a jag and a clean damp patch, push it all the way down the barrel of your TC Encore. Mark the ramrod where it meets the end of the barrel with a strip of masking tape. Put a 209 into the breach plug, close the gun, cock the hammer and pull the trigger. With our Thompson Center Encore, the ramrod will get blown 6"- 8" up the barrel with just the force of the 209. If we do the same experiment with our Hornet / T/C Encore breach plug with it's small rifle primer, the ramrod moves less than 1". From research I have done, not my thoughts.

Different propellants ignite and burn differently. BH209 is a progressive burning propellant and requires a full strength 209 primer for consistent ignition. What may ignite BH209 at 80°, may not ignite it consistently, or at all at say 20° or -10°.

Take regular blackpowder. You can ignite it with nothing more than the slightest spark. Other propellants such as Pyrodex and T7 will ignite with less than a 209 primer, yet it takes more spark than blackpowder. All three mentioned have different burn rates.

BH209 works best with pressure and/or high heat and takes much more than the other substitutes. The 209 primers made for T7 and Pyrodex, won't ignite BH209 consistently. Percussion caps are even worse.

Read the FAQ's here about BH209: http://www.blackhorn209.com/faqs/

I can assure you, the top inline muzzleloader shooters use 209 primers in competitions and those who may not, use the Gen2 system with LRMP's. You won't see other ignition systems (primers) being used in something so serious. Is hunting any less serious?

If you are looking for tighter fit for the 209's in an Encore, you may want to try a European version of it such as made by Cheddite or Rio. They just a thousandth or so larger in diameter and fit really tight in the Encore breach plug. You want to be very careful on trying them since they can wedge in pretty darn tight and PITA to get out. So far they have not been a problem for my breach plug and I use BH209 exclusively.

If you are looking for tighter fit for the 209's in an Encore, you may want to try a European version of it such as made by Cheddite or Rio. They just a thousandth or so larger in diameter and fit really tight in the Encore breach plug. You want to be very careful on trying them since they can wedge in pretty darn tight and PITA to get out. So far they have not been a problem for my breach plug and I use BH209 exclusively.
I have accuracy issues not leaking issues

EABCO offered a breech plug that accepted modified case allowing you to use standard centerfire rifle primers. I'm not a muzzle loader guy but they might still sell it.

I agree with others that have said 209 isn't the issue. I own Arrowhead and sell the LRMP kits. Is LRMP better, yes, but if you've got horrible accuracy issues, it's generally not the primer that's the issue.

Bullet/sabot to bore fit is probably number one culprit. You don't want something that just slides down the barrel with no resistance. The harder you're pushing a load, the tighter your fit should be.

Using a non-mag primer with BH209 is another recipe for poor performance.
Honestly, you can get decent accuracy at 100 yards with a gun that leaks a lot. Your velocity spread will be high and start to bite you at distance. Where the leakage really gets you with BH209 and Smokeless is if you're hunting cold weather. Combine cold with leakage, and that's a really good recipe for a misfire.

No offence what so ever but $175 for a breach plug? They wear out you know, right? I bought a 209 Encore first year they came out. Had to send barrels back two times due to forearm screws shearing off due to recoil. T/C sent me new barrels both times by UPS three day mail, both times on my word only and sent the new barrels before I even mailed the old ones back to T/C.

Absolutely love my Encore shot very well with 3-F 777, but it was utterly reborn once I tried BH209. Using the factory concaved BP It shoots so well with BH209 never needed to consider upgrading to a different BP.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.