Swaro Bino's

buzz4me2

I'm looking into upgrading to Swaro bino's for hunting out in the west. It's pretty confusing with all of the choices. I'm looking at the 8.5x42 EL, 10x42 EL, 10x42 SLC and 8x42 SLC.

I'm leaning towards the 8.5x42 El's. What's the difference between the binos being made with Swarovision vs the 3-4 year old models without. If one can pick up a used pair of 8.5x42 EL's for $1200 or so is that a good deal.

Any opinions for the right binos for hunting out west would be appreciated. Thanks

I looked thru the new EL 8.5x42 recently and they are phenomenal. But as you mention they are also major coin, 2400 thru B&H if I remember correctly.

I have a 15 year old pair of Zeiss that are good enough for me at this point in time, also great glass.

You may want to check the Swarovski web site, if I remember correctly they are doing a trade in/up of their older versions, maybe there is a reason.

I really like both Zeiss and Swarovski. The Swarovski spotting scopes are without a doubt in my opinion the best out there but again, very expensive. The depth of field and clarity of their bigger spotter is again phenomenal.

If it were me and I could pickup an older version I was happy with and there were no issues I would buy it. I believe the warranty if transferable. And I have spoken to them on the telephone, nice people.

..... What's the difference between the binos being made with Swarovision vs the 3-4 year old models without.

In terms of the EL series:

Swarovison has been added to the new EL's which is the combination field flattening lenses and their upgraded glass. The newer EL's also have a redesigned focusing mechanism which is faster than the old. Quicker adjustment basicly, less rotating of the wheel to focus where you need to. The minimal focusing distance is 5ft on the newer EL's.

Yep, those Swarovision binos are awesome. I cannot believe how relax the view is through a pair of binoculars.

Nothing wrong with a good used pair,deal sound good. I had Ziess 10x42,Swaro 10x42 el and traded a friend for 10x32 el for size.I sit one on tripod w/others stacked on top at dusk and my eyes could not tell difference.

it's been hashed over, but i'll do it again,

the new swarovski el binoculars have some really important added features

HD glass- the glass in the swarovision el binoculars has calcium fluoride crystal, it's much better for a few reasons, but to name a new, extra low dispersion, better crispness and clarity even at high magnifications, better contrast.

field flattners that allow for wider field of view

the eye box is more comfortable when i've compared mine to older models

i've been using the swarovision 10x42 binoculars since they came out and they continue to give great service regardless of what i'm doing with them

No doubt in my mind Swaro is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to high end glass. Their spotting scopes are phenomenal for ease of use, clarity, depth of field, etc.

But when the dollar comes back real strong which it will before the end of the year will Swaro drop the price to where some of us can afford their glass? Jeepers 2400. for a pair of mid-size binoculars??

Pricing on some of these items has gotten way, way out of hand. I am really hoping the foreign manufacturers who were able to pass on phenomenal pricing increases here in the USA will back off and back down when things change, this is going to determine where I spend a lot of my money.

Sorry but facts are facts.

I've got the original 10x42, 10x50, and the new 10X42. My older versions are 10 to 17 years old and have been awesome and clear I have broken several lenses and Swarovski has been right there taking care of me and the binos always come back looking brand new. However the new versions are a lot lighter and have a few other pluses the other guys have stated. In my opinion if lighter is worth the money then spend the extra cash if it doesn't matter than go with the older style. Either way they are going to last a lifetime. I actually send mine back every year just to get them looking new again.

No doubt in my mind Swaro is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to high end glass. Their spotting scopes are phenomenal for ease of use, clarity, depth of field, etc.

But when the dollar comes back real strong which it will before the end of the year will Swaro drop the price to where some of us can afford their glass? Jeepers 2400. for a pair of mid-size binoculars??

Pricing on some of these items has gotten way, way out of hand. I am really hoping the foreign manufacturers who were able to pass on phenomenal pricing increases here in the USA will back off and back down when things change, this is going to determine where I spend a lot of my money.

Sorry but facts are facts.
NO, They are not worth that price. I have had a few pairs.ELS, and a older set of Ziess 10x42 classic at 20 oz.was just as clear.Your EYE CAN ONLY pick up so much. I always had great vision,but it is starting to slip a bit now.You can get great used for descent price

Thanks for the kind words regarding my freaking out at the high cost of glass.

I was scouting last week and I will again today with my old Zeiss. And after your post I am going to keep my eyes open for another good used pair of quality glass regardless of brand.

In my opinion most binos are pretty clear it's early and late light where the great ones stand out. And the swarms do. Also no one else has the warranty that Swarovski has. I know a guy that accidentally ran his over and they fixed them.

Yeh,My bud had wire split rings on his swaro for a bino buddy.And the metal at right threw the strap eyes,plus they had some years of hard use.He had tie wire wrapped around tube to hold straps.They fixed them no ??looked brand new when done N/C

In my opinion most binos are pretty clear it's early and late light where the great ones stand out. And the swarms do. Also no one else has the warranty that Swarovski has. I know a guy that accidentally ran his over and they fixed them.

vortex has the same warrenty.

Vortex is one brand I've never experienced. But good to hear of another product willing to back their stuff up

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts