Swapping out bullets on commerical rounds

Well I agree not the smartest thing to do.

I shoot a lot of Barnes and they all tend to take MORE not less powder. They are banded and not full engaging ogive as regular jacketed bulllets. That allows them to take more powder and have more MR than jacketd. So substituting jacketed could easily put you over pressure.

However your gun and face.

I have not had the same results, for me it has been slightly less powder for the same MV. Both in 30-06 with 168s and 7-08 with 140s.

But thus the back off 2gr starting point to play that part safe.

Like I said this isn't really all that different in my mind to having a known powder but a new bullet on the market, 2gr off the max charge on a similar bullet typically is a safe place to try. Even if over pressure it would tend to be in the excess velocity, flat primer phase vs case failure.

If you have counter points to those assumptions feel free to contribute. :)

The AI has 5% more powder capacity. IMHO,at 2g less the resulting load will be close to 10% powder below a saami max pressure load for the 280AI.

The only Alliant powder that looks like ball is 4000mr, it has a 57g max for a 140g in the 280REM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.