Surprise my hubby w/ballistics calc.?

luv2bmom

First let me start by saying I have no idea if I'm posting in the right place or what I'm doing!

A while back my husband was talking about something he read where someone had purchased a cheap used cell phone just to use it for a ballistics calculator (an app?) while he was out doing what ever it is you use it for. I'm wanting to try and get something for my husband so he can do that. The phone or what ever it is (tablet? smartphone? blackberry?) would not be used for a cell phone to make calls (he already has one). Can anyone help me figure out what I should be looking for?

If your husband has an Apple product (iPhone, iPad etc) or an Android phone, you can get a great ballistic program called 'Shooter'. You can learn more here:

Shooter - Ballistics Calculator for iOS and Android

Myself, I am a bit more antiquated. I have an old Dell Axim X50. You can learn about the device here:

Introducing the Dell Axim X50v and X50 Handhelds | Dell

They can be found inexpensively on ebay.

Then once you have the device, I loaded 'Exbal' on it. You can find information about Exbal here:

Perry-Systems - Ballistic Calculator Software

One of the things that's nice about Exbal is that you can also get a version to load onto your desktop/laptop computer. Personally, I like having the software on my desktop computer and a device. That way I can run calculations, make adjustments etc, then save the file onto my device. I think I am in the minority in this area though.

There are other programs too, but I am not familiar with them. I am sure another member of this forum will chime in with alternatives.

Have any sisters?

He has some ancient cell phone, I don't even think he can text from it! Would the Shooter one work on say an Android tablet? I saw a Poloroid Android Tablet for $89.00. An Ipod touch would be nice but a bit more than I'd like to spend.

I love Shooter on my Android tablet!

BigLots has a Polaroid Android Ice Cream Sandwich Tablet for $89.00. I don't know a thing about tablets. Would it work like yours?
b874103_30.jpg

Although I am sure Len will reply to your question about the Polaroid tablet, i would recommend you call Sean Kennedy at Shooter and ask him.

If no sister(s), any good lookin' like minded friends? :D

Having an iPod touch, now an iPhone and also Shooter, I'd highly recommend using Shooter on an iPhone or an Android based phone (it comes in both version). Having the GPS as well as weather data available significantly enhances the usefulness of the program.

But would an android based phone be any good if it didn't have an active cell service? Would the GPS still work?

But would an android based phone be any good if it didn't have an active cell service? Would the GPS still work?

Nope, it just becomes a handheld calculator/computer then.
Thankfully cell service is available "most" places.

However, it still has the capability when it does have service and that's something a handheld calculator can never do. Shooter is $9.99 (but it's on sale the next 2 weeks at $4.99 for the iphone/itouch - I just checked). That's so cheap I don't know why anyone would buy a handheld to run anything else. Even if you got one for free the Exbal mentioned is still $70.

FYI there are a few free apps for the iPhone but Shooter beats them as well as some others you can buy. I have 8 total on my phone and Shooter is the best of them all.

well you could always update the phone and get strelok ballistic calculator app .it's free and it's excellent an easy to use . just a thought ..........

Great information from many sources! I just bought a Dell Streak 7 Tegra w/Bluetooth and as there's no cell service here--or anywhere where I'm likely to be except Fairbanks--I had no clue about what "locked," "unlocked," and SIM card meant. So the Android OS that I sought to run Shooter couldn't be accessed. Nor can Shooter be installed in Windows or iApple whatever. I called Geeks and the guy said there was nothing he knew of that ran an android of i OS that could be used without SIM card activation. Anybody know differently?

Otherwise I'll be looking at Exebal and others, for laptop/Win7 etc., and hopefully with the Bluetooth option as I'd like the inter-connectivity. Since the--literally--whole shooting match is transported via boat & 4 wheeler and not far or roughly, it will be acceptable.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.