supporter fiction v facts: Ruger v Tikka

I have had a few Mo.77sThey shoot ok to great.Trigger work had to be done on all of them.Never bought a Ruger American,but from handling them,they oozed cheap.They might shoot good,but fugly is fugly.I have 5 Tikkas right now and they all shoot good right out of the box with that super Sako trigger.Yes it is the same trigger and barrel as a Sako.Nothing beats a straight line magazine for smooth feeding.I would rather spend a few extra bucks up front then be frustrated at the bench.JMHO,Huntz

Last edited:
If you looked in my safe, you'd call me a Ruger fan boy. I've never thought of myself as one, but the numbers don't lie. I own 4 times more Rugers than any other brand. I don't have either of the rifles you asked about, but I would buy the Tikka.
I bought the 1st gen RPR on the first run. I got one of the crappy barrel ones. Ruger as usual was great and replaced the barrel. The second barrel was much better, but I ended up getting a custom one. I replaced the trigger with an aftermarket one and did some work to straighten the shroud. It's now a great rifle to shoot and I wouldn't trade it.
While my RPR was at Ruger , wanted to shoot. I had heard good things about the Tikka CTR. I had never heard of them, but I did know Sako. My dad had a 30-06 Sako when I was a kid. Very sweet rifle, but that's another story. So I order one up. I wasn't real happy about a 20" barrel, but the sun and moon all aligned and a 24" barreled model fell into my hands. The CTR has one major flaw, whoever put that stock on it should beaten. Ruger American stocks are cheap and flimsy. The CTR's is twice as bad. First thing I did was buy a chassis for is. I also changed the trigger spring and put a muzzle brake on it. Out of the box it's the best shooting factory rifle I've ever had. The machining is so much better than the RPR. The bolt is smooth, oh so smooth.
I love both riffles now, but after buying the CTR I told myself if Tikka made the style rifle I was l looking for, it would be my first choice. Since then I've add 4 more Rugers and 2 more Tikkas to my collection.
I believe you'll be happy with either one. I also believe the Tikka will be the better built of the two.

Another opinion :/ from whom owns four tikka rifles.
Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 with factory ammo has average accuracy

Tikka t3 Varmint in .223 in factory stock and light trigger spring was the most accurate rifle I owned using factory Hornady 55gr ammo

Tikka T3x Varmint in 22-250 in factory stock and light trigger spring using Hornady 50gr ammo is sub moa rifle

Tikka tx3 CTR in 6.5CM in a MPA chassis and a Timney 2 stage trigger using Hornady 140 gr ELD Match is a 0.6 MOA rifle. The Timney 2 stage adjusted to one pound is a nice trigger, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost compared to the Tikka trigger with a light spring.

Not a fair comparison, but I owned one Ruger years ago and it wasn't much

My Impact Precision/ Bartlein barrel in a MPA chassis with a Trigger Tech Diamond trigger in 6CM will out perform my Tikkas.
I very much believe Tikka or Sako (if you want to spend more for finish) is the best factory rifle made. But, like the other posters have said it's just my opinion.

Ruger Precision Gen 3 Bolt-Action Rifle
vs
Tikka T3x TAC A1 Bolt-Action Rifle​

I've been reading a lot about these 2 and really approach neither with bias. The online forums definitely favor the Tikka. But I'm really getting nothing more than opinions:

But as always the truth is more complex than supporters would have you believe. So, with some measure of trepidation, I ask:
Does one far outstrip the other? I've never actual seen any data to back up these opinions. But they are asserted with absolute certainty. Is there actual data that gives one the advantage over the other?

Want the truth, here it is but first, some questions.

1. What do you intend on using it for?
2. What kind of accuracy do you expect?
3. Do you intend on customising the rifle?

1. In the intended use area the Ruger is a decent all around rifle although the tolerances used in it's construction are much wider than the Tikka.
They are well known for this. Silky smooth actions on the tikkas

2. The accuracy department, since the tolerances on the Tikka are so much
Tighter out of the box accuracy is usually great but, I have also seen some pretty stright shootin Rugers.

3. On Customazation the Tikkas win hands down . You are very limited with Ruger. One mor thought. Ruger uses castings for the Actions, Tikka uses forging in their own plant on the same line as Sako. I know because I've been there on a tour of the plant.

Finnally, PRICE. for very little more than the price of a Ruger rifle, you can own a much smoother and in 9 out of 10 cases more accurate Tikka.

I have owned just about every rifle manufactured in the free world, some costing thousands! The lessons Ive learned is one of deminishing returns.
I owns several Sako and Tikka rifles that have shot with, or out shot some of the best customs out there. Choose SLOWLY, CAREFULLY, RESEARCH, THAN DECIDE.

Some othe fine rifles are the new Mauser offerings as well as Sauer. Great stuff especially on a price/performance scale. Good luck on your search.

One more item I forgot about.

I recently purchased a Blackrock (made by Defiance Machine)
6.5 prc, stainless steel on a good solid chassie. 26" barrel.
Absolutly Amazing! 1/4 min. @ 100 yards for $1995.

One more item I forgot about.

I recently purchased a Blackrock (made by Defiance Machine)
6.5 prc, stainless steel on a good solid chassie. 26" barrel.
Absolutly Amazing! 1/4 min. @ 100 yards for $1995.

Did you possibly mean Bad Rock , not Blackrock ?
I did not find anything in a search for Blackrock rifle .

Thank You ,
DMP25-06

I started out with a tang safety Ruger M77, it shoots pretty well...about MOA. I've had a couple more Rugers and a couple of Tikkas, and though the Rugers are competent, the Tikkas shoot a bit better. After seeing this, I picked up a few late 1950s CRF Husqvarna 1600s to see if fine shooting rifles was a Scandinavian trait. I took my time and waited for rifles that were in great condition and well cared for. I have a 9.3X62 which shoots MOA, and it's my northern B.C. moose rifle...as it can deal with a grizzly if needed. I have one in .270 Win, and it's 2/3 MOA...I use that for deer in southern B.C.. The jewel is my Husky 30.06, it puts 3 168 grain Barnes Vor-tx copper bullets into the same hole with a trace of clover-leafing. So was I happy with the result of my experiment buying used Husqvarna 1600s? Damned right I was! The results are all with factory ammo...the 9.3 likes Hornady Int'l Superformance 168 grain, and the .270 likes Nosler Accubonds in 140 grain. Based on this, I've recommended used Huskies in good condition to a few new young hunters with limited funds. They were all very happy with their rifles...and with the money they saved they were able to buy better scopes, making for even better shooting!

Lots of rifle companies in recent years have come out with budget lines to fill the market of affordable rifles for those who are looking to buy their first gun, need a cheap hunting rifle, or are otherwise less discerning in what they want from a firearm. Remington 783, Savage Axis, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot, Winchester XPR, and so forth. The reason that the Ruger Precision is as affordable, is due to the fact that it is more or less a glorified Ruger American with some modifications. When you cycle to bolt, or feel the chassis casting, you can tell that its takes its heritage from the more affordable line. I feel that this is something that gets ignored by a lot of consumers by all the gadgets and gizmos it superficially flaunts.

The base action on the Tikka is going to be superior in every way, because you are starting with much higher quality components. As a result, the price point on the Tac is higher, but its justified. Most of the faults and complaints you find with Tikka's more affordable options have to do with the fact that they cut corners on the accessories as opposed to the barrel and action. They have cheap stocks, magazines, and bottom metal, which are all not present on the Tac series.

In picking between the two options you presented, I would heavily favor the Tikka. Not trying to introduce my own bias here any more than I already have, but I will not spend my hard earned money on Ruger products based on previous experiences both as an owner and shooting friend's rifles. Looking in the similar price points to what you have listed for chassis rifles, I would recommend you consider the Bergara B14 BMP and the Premiere LRP as well.

Thats why i have a sako 85 in 30-06
Accurate out of the box
I have owned a sako finwolf in 25-06, .5" group guarantee out of the box with factory ammo. I would still have it but I let a friend talk me out of it! A friend of mine has the RPR in 308 and loves it but I have never shot it. I have 2 M77s, one in 243 and one in 308. Both are sub moa with certain handloads. I also free floated them and put lighter springs in the triggers. I went with the M77s because they have strong bolts! I knocked the handel off a Rem 788 once when I got a hot handload stuck. My first rifle was a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 and to date it was the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. With different factory and handloads the group's always strung vertical, Never much horizontal movement. I also free floated it and adjusted the trigger, I also shot it a lot. Different loads in the M77s are apt to move vertical and horizontal. Bottom line is, out of the box accuracy probably goes to the Sakko/Tika. If your willing to do some tweeking most modern rifles are capable of sub moa. One extra thought is that many custom rifles are built on the Remington 700 action. There must be a good reason for that! What ever you get, don't be afraid to make improvements. I personally free float all my rifles just because I'm convinced that makes them more accurate. I'm a hunter and my shooting experience is 500 yds and less.

I have a Tikka Tx3 Lite in 22-250 and love it. I also have a Ruger (different model and caliber) and it can be as cranky as a sleepy child, mostly failure to feed. I have to admit, they're the only ones I own of those makes but the Tikka is a sweetheart.

I have a SAKO 85 Hunter Stainless laminate in .260 Remington and .375 H&H and 7 Rem Mag in a vintage SAKO Finnbear. They all shot lights out right out of the box. The 260 shot so good with anything I put in it, I had to choose my load using the chrony because the groups were all .7 or less. They are all slick in fit and finish and I love the triggers--I've never adjusted a SAKO trigger. I have Sauer rifles, Weatherby, Browning and Fierce Firearms custom. If you want to take one out of the box and shoot go with the SAKO...and if the Tikka is a close to the SAKO as folks say, I'd take a good look at that. Very biased--I could make commercials for SAKO.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts