supporter fiction v facts: Ruger v Tikka

I have a SAKO 85 Hunter Stainless laminate in .260 Remington and .375 H&H and 7 Rem Mag in a vintage SAKO Finnbear. They all shot lights out right out of the box. The 260 shot so good with anything I put in it, I had to choose my load using the chrony because the groups were all .7 or less. They are all slick in fit and finish and I love the triggers--I've never adjusted a SAKO trigger. I have Sauer rifles, Weatherby, Browning and Fierce Firearms custom. If you want to take one out of the box and shoot go with the SAKO...and if the Tikka is a close to the SAKO as folks say, I'd take a good look at that. Very biased--I could make commercials for SAKO.
I agree, my Sakko was a beautiful rifle. So much so that I was afraid to take it hunting for feer of getting it scratched. That's why I let my friend talk me out of it. My rifles now are tools! Stainless steel with composite stocks. They're not pretty but they are tough.

Another opinion :/ from whom owns four tikka rifles.
Tikka t3 lite in 30-06 with factory ammo has average accuracy

Tikka t3 Varmint in .223 in factory stock and light trigger spring was the most accurate rifle I owned using factory Hornady 55gr ammo

Tikka T3x Varmint in 22-250 in factory stock and light trigger spring using Hornady 50gr ammo is sub moa rifle

Tikka tx3 CTR in 6.5CM in a MPA chassis and a Timney 2 stage trigger using Hornady 140 gr ELD Match is a 0.6 MOA rifle. The Timney 2 stage adjusted to one pound is a nice trigger, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost compared to the Tikka trigger with a light spring.

Not a fair comparison, but I owned one Ruger years ago and it wasn't much

My Impact Precision/ Bartlein barrel in a MPA chassis with a Trigger Tech Diamond trigger in 6CM will out perform my Tikkas.
I very much believe Tikka or Sako (if you want to spend more for finish) is the best factory rifle made. But, like the other posters have said it's just my opinion.
Got a cz550 in 375H&H love it too
Had my gunsmith moth front site back, thread the muzzle and make a brake
Love it

Got a cz550 in 375H&H love it too
Had my gunsmith moth front site back, thread the muzzle and make a brake
Love it
I've heard good things about the CZ 550 but have never owned one. I would like to have one in 7.62x39. That would make a great ranch rifle. I have had several CZ pistols and have found them to be very well made.

Ruger Precision Gen 3 Bolt-Action Rifle
vs
Tikka T3x TAC A1 Bolt-Action Rifle​

I've been reading a lot about these 2 and really approach neither with bias. The online forums definitely favor the Tikka. But I'm really getting nothing more than opinions:

But as always the truth is more complex than supporters would have you believe. So, with some measure of trepidation, I ask:
Does one far outstrip the other? I've never actual seen any data to back up these opinions. But they are asserted with absolute certainty. Is there actual data that gives one the advantage over the other?
I'd figure out exactly what you want it to do then reach out to a gunsmith on this forum (I'm sure there's several) to build you one. Then you have exactly what you wanted and possibly the only one in existence!!

Recently pondered this exact question. Was looking for a 6.5CM and had narrowed my search between RPR Gen III & Tikka Tac a1. In speaking with a number of folks whose opinion I hold in high regard along with folks who have owned and shot both, was leaning toward the Tikka. Managed to find a shop that had both so was able to handle/fidget with both. I chose the Tikka as it felt, to me, like a better made rifle all around (ie bolt was smooth, folding stock locked securely, magazine release felt good, etc...). Certainly not knocking the Ruger but I was more comfortable with paying a bit more and getting what felt good to me versus wondering if the dollars saved were worth it. During break-in with 140 Berger Hybrids, produced a 5 shot .300 moa group @100 w/H4350. Tikka barrels are notoriously slow I'm learning but this is a target gun so hot-rodding it is not necessary for me. Happy with my choice, good luck.

My experience is with the Ruger American and Tikka T3's, not the precision rifles you are looking at. However, I think it may still be helpful.

My primary hunting rifle is a Tikka T3 Forest in 30-06. It is the least picky of any rifle I own, shooting many handloads and factory ammo at 0.5MOA, in weights between 150-220gr.

My son has a Ruger American Compact in .243 that is the most accurate rifle in my safe. He loved it so much that he now has standard Ruger American in 7mm-08 and has killed more deer and hogs with it that I've lost count.

I loved my Tikka so much that I bought a T3x in both 7mm-08 and 300 Win Mag. Both shoot lights out with handloads and factory ammo.

I still prefer the Tikka's over the Ruger Americans for 3 reasons: trigger is much better, the bolt is much smoother and the factory Tikka stock is better quality. These are all subjective and are strictly my opinion after having shot both. However, the Ruger Americans that my son has are real shooters and he loves them.

The answer -buy the action and keep buying until it's perfect for you.a friend of mine shooting rpr in the about 2 weeks ago and after 2 shots something broke so I asked if he wanted to shoot my Rem 700 and he said sure if you don't mind.he won the match.

Attachments

• 1BB4DC8D-BEC7-4807-86C2-31233F5351C2.jpeg
    1BB4DC8D-BEC7-4807-86C2-31233F5351C2.jpeg
    772.1 KB · Views: 106
I've had 4 Tikka T3s. Triggers are excellent, accuracy has been good to excellent. This 204 (picture about 1,200 rounds into its life) has just started to open up to 3/4" accuracy and borescope reveals the rifling is getting tired. It's taken a lot of foxes!

I never liked the sloppy, gritty bolt on the Ruger, triggers just aren't in the same league and in Australia the support and customer experience for Tikka is second to none.

This 204 had its varmint barrel screwed off, heavy flutes cut in the factory barrel and re-fit. The small 204 hole in the varmint barrel made it nose heavy and I had the time and money to have it modified.. I'd be pretty tempted to replace it like for like in another 600 rounds or so. The action has been used in the rain (stainless) and fog and cold and snotty weather so its a little marked and not really worth keeping. If I thought the next one was going to the 1" shooter, i'd rebarrel this one. Given I know the next one will be a sub MoA shooter too, I'll just go a new one!!

I also have a 3/4" shooting T3 Stainless Lite in 300WSM, it sits in a carbon stock and weighs as much as a damp fart, its a handful to shoot well and I struggle to shoot it under an inch due to the recoil, but in a smaller chambering I'm positive its a 1/2" gun as well - I know my limits, its a mountain rifle and the weight reduction comes at a price

What a shot - Imgur.jpg

If I buy a long distance like that I want a Ruger. In 300 wm. Plus, their customer service is the best I have encountered in any industry in my 60 years of life.

Call me a supporter - my Tikka's straight up shoot. Action smooth as butter, excellent factory trigger. I've handled the RPR a few times and it seems like a great rifle - action felt a little clunky to me.

It's hard for me to want to steer away from tikka with results like this. Recently bought a CTR .223 1:8 20" and threw it in a KRG bravo. Went to the range yesterday for the first outing with some random 40 gr Vmax load I had sitting around. Ended the day with this 7 shot group at 100 yards (total of only 20 rounds down the tube now).

Snapseed 7.jpg

IMG_8982.jpg

Ruger Precision Gen 3 Bolt-Action Rifle
vs
Tikka T3x TAC A1 Bolt-Action Rifle​

I've been reading a lot about these 2 and really approach neither with bias. The online forums definitely favor the Tikka. But I'm really getting nothing more than opinions:

But as always the truth is more complex than supporters would have you believe. So, with some measure of trepidation, I ask:
Does one far outstrip the other? I've never actual seen any data to back up these opinions. But they are asserted with absolute certainty. Is there actual data that gives one the advantage over the other?

I tried to find answers a few years ago when, as a middle-aged adult, I got into centerfire rifles. Jeez, what a quagmire. Guys buy something and it instantly the best ever. Their cartridge choice is "the best" cartridge. The applications for and the actual application of a firearm vary so widely that no "best" fits all.

Your "best" bet, I think, is to look at info like defects, "the mag on this fed poorly", "the safety was a bear to engage/disengage", etc. Things more likely to be "universal" to that model. Accuracy...ha! Maybe the guy can't shoot, maybe he can't be honest about his inability, maybe his ammo sucks, maybe he's shot 5 rounds and doesn't really know what it will do, let alone how long the rifle will last. Maybe the rifle doesn't see daylight even yearly...but he owns it, it's the best. $#&%.

FWIW.

--HC

When I go out with my CTR target practicing, I always do a 100 yard 3 shot group, just to check zero . So far it's averaged 3/8". My largest group was 1/2". I have a PVA and Bartlein barrels which shoot sub 1/2" but not as good. I just thought it was dumb luck, but it seems I'm not the only one. Oh, I was going to reload for the CTR, but is does this with Prime ammo. I hate to say it, but it is a 6.5 Creedmoor and as we all know if I just set the rifle down with a chanbered round it will do the rest.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.