SUPER HOGS MAY INVADE THE US FROM CANADA

dang, I might just have something to hunt... disease has beaten down the whitetail herd to the point it isn't really worth getting a smokepole tag the last couple of years... it might just give some of these tools blasting away at the range something constructive to do.

Hogs tend to migrate over very large areas. One year we are covered up with hogs.. then nothing for 2-3 yrs.. then here they come again.
One big issue is there is no space between hog litters. As soon as she drops, it's on to it again! No real answers and about all you can do is shoot when the opportunity presents itself. As the population grows, they will become more aggressive. I've already seen them running through town. Hard to shoot at something running down the street lol.

It is always interesting when folks think they should have the right to hunt other people's land for free because they are purportedly providing a service to help the landowner. Sadly, most such hunting tourists really aren't. They don't stick around long enough to get the job done. Then tend to work on their own schedule and not the landowner's schedule. If they travel, they are very short term and can be a pain in the butt for the landowner to manage.

I have guided hunts in Texas. People come in and shot 2 or 5 hogs and think they have saved the world, but they come year after year because they didn't save the world. The didn't really help with the hog problem because as soon as they left, the hogs will be back.

This really isn't like the plummer paying to fix your broken pipes, not unless your broken pipes are leaking joy and money. Hogs may be a problem, but they are also a commodity. If you had a bunch of land with a hog problem and no time to hunt it, would you just let random strangers on your property to hunt, or if you found out you could make $300 a gun per night, would you go that route? Okay, the question is do you let random strangers hunt for free, or do you let random strangers pay you $300 per gun per night to hunt. What are you going to choose?

As a landowner with hogs, I have had numerous people hunt my place, most of whom wanted to help me with my problem. So generous. No, I have a 400 yard rifle range on my property and a 100 yard mixed us range. One of my generous helpers opted not to use the range (because he said he didn't have permission) and stuck a target on a very healthy tree and pumped more than 30 rounds into it. The tree subsequently died a few month later and I had to remove it.

I have had trash left behind in my shooting blind from hunters helping me. I have had the gate left open (very uncool). Kills are supposed to be taken to the bone yard and I have had folks leave dead hogs around my feeder that I had to come back and clean up.

I hunt on two properties right now where landowners had people help them by shooting one of their cattle.

This is why landowners charge so much money. Far too many hunters are trash people. They cause more problems than they produce help and the landowner is left to deal with the aftermath of so-called helpful hunters.

With that said, I am sure that each an every one of you is nothing but the pinnacle of ethics, manners, and totally law abiding. You would never trespass from my property onto my neighbors' properties to "look" for your poorly shot wounded hog. Yes, I have dealt with that phone call before as well. Why are my hunters on the trail cams next door, trespassing with firearms?

One hunter who had permission to only hunt one type of animal decided to take care of my carnivore problem. I don't have a carnivore problem. We let nature do its thing for the most part on my place. So this guy proceeds to shoot a bobcat and a bunch of raccoons, doing me a 'favor' I didn't want done. Going back to the plumbing analogy, it would be like letting this guy come to try to fix my water leak in the kitchen, yet somehow managed to break the door on my bathroom shower and never fixed my water leak.

So if I ever let strangers back onto my property to hunt, you can bet I will charge a fee and it will be competitive because I know that hunters will cause me problems. Been there. Done that.
^^^^^ this! Everyone wants the fun and none of the responsibility.
I let me friends hunt on my land for free. With that said, they know if they break my rules they will never be welcome again. Having people you don't know shooting everything that moves ......no thanks

dang, I might just have something to hunt... disease has beaten down the whitetail herd to the point it isn't really worth getting a smokepole tag the last couple of years... it might just give some of these tools blasting away at the range something constructive to do.
Are you referring to CWD or something else like TB ?

They are in the news again. I guess Canadian hog farmers were encouraged to cross breed them with European boars, and when the market collapsed, these crossbreed were left to roam wild and multiply, now invating northern US states

I don't know of anyone who 'cut their fences' to let hogs go, however many guys let them out to pastures to forage because feeding them grain didn't pay. Hogs then escaped into the wild. Several producers tried to sell 'hog hunts' which didn't work out. Hence the situation now. I have not seen a lot of these wild pigs, but those I have seen most were from a private plane and they looked much like a domestic pig with long hair.

That's how the feral hogs plaguing the southern states and slowly moving north came about. A few escaped the pens and over the years they've population grew to where they cause billions of dollars of damage every year.