Sun Shade

Slopeshunter

Hey all,

I just bought a Bushnell 4-16x50AO which came with a 5" sun shade. I've never used a sun shade before. Is it going to do me any good? Are there times to use it and times not to use it?

This scope is going on my 280AI. Should I just screw the shade on and leave it on all the time?

Thanks.

Are there times to use it?

Yes. At the range or at the hide. And then only when the sun becomes a problem.

Are there times not to use it?

Yes, when you are carrying the rifle. As in transporting to the hide or walk/stalk.

The shade is just one more thing to go wrong should you fall. Which sooner or later you will.:mad:

If you don't believe me, ask Kirby. I believe he'll recommend the same thing or at least pretty much the same thing.

For anything other than shooting at the range I use a self made plastic or card board slip on. Crystal Light containers, once they get cut to the correct dimensions and fitted properly are just fine and they weight nothing and will bend and maybe break but hardly ever damage the scope or knock off the zero.

Get Bull Dog primer to prime the plastic so that black spray paint will stick. Then you don't have to use gawky masking tape or some such stuff.

Use the wife's glue gun to weld the seam after dimensions are finalized.

Use masking tape on the inside to tighten the fit if needed.

Leave the fancy metal shade that comes with for show.;) It'll save you grief in the long run.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.