Suitable youth rifle for a Mule Deer hunt?

not starting an *Rule 1 Violation*s debate, but I'd recommend leaning toward the higher side of things for leeway. Bad shots are just that, and you can do everything to prevent them. But, they do happen, and with smaller, slower and less powerful cartridges they are more likely to spoil a hunt. you have the time and can practice. You have the skill to rebarrel a rifle on your own. Why not choose a tool that's better suited to the job rather than making do with something you're not sure will work. For a young beginning hunter, I'd start at 6.5 for a minimum, and the creedmoor is as easy as it gets in that area.

If we are going to start saying min caliber for deer is 6.5, this train is completely off the tracks. o_O:rolleyes:

not starting an *Rule 1 Violation*s debate, but I'd recommend leaning toward the higher side of things for leeway. Bad shots are just that, and you can do everything to prevent them. But, they do happen, and with smaller, slower and less powerful cartridges they are more likely to spoil a hunt. you have the time and can practice. You have the skill to rebarrel a rifle on your own. Why not choose a tool that's better suited to the job rather than making do with something you're not sure will work. For a young beginning hunter, I'd start at 6.5 for a minimum, and the creedmoor is as easy as it gets in that area.

My concern with the 6mm is just that, the what if a bad shot does happen. What will the 6mm do on a shoulder at 200-300 yards? Blow up or penetrate on through? I know it also depends on the bullet being used. I would think a solid or bonded would maybe penetrate. But the ELDX or soft point I would think would blow up. I could be completely wrong on these thoughts. If I was shooting, no questions asked it would be a .30 cal. Too much recoil for a kid will most likely create bad habits plus limit the amount of practice per session.

I'm excited as can be about her drawings a permit and my mind is racing at 264mph with the excitement and getting everything together.

My concern with the 6mm is just that, the what if a bad shot does happen. What will the 6mm do on a shoulder at 200-300 yards? Blow up or penetrate on through? I know it also depends on the bullet being used. I would think a solid or bonded would maybe penetrate. But the ELDX or soft point I would think would blow up. I could be completely wrong on these thoughts. If I was shooting, no questions asked it would be a .30 cal. Too much recoil for a kid will most likely create bad habits plus limit the amount of practice per session.

I'm excited as can be about her drawings a permit and my mind is racing at 264mph with the excitement and getting everything together.

Thats a bullet problem not a cartridge problem. We shoot muley's with the 108gr eldms and they bust through the shoulder. Pick a good bullet and go for it.

My daughter has killed a bunch of mule deer bucks with a 223 with 60 gr soft points some through both shoulders no problem, got her a 6.5 Creedmore in a Weatherby Camilla and she's MEAN with it, IMO get your girl a gun that is hers and that fits a lady is far more important than a 6mm vs 6.5 mm!!

ok, not saying that the 6.5 is necessary, but lends itself to a bit of cushion for shot placement for a less experienced shooter. I'm sure lots of shooters young and old kill deer with all kinds of calibers. I was only offering suggestion for the best possible outcome given your requirements. if I were on a draw hunt, you can sure bet that I'll be taking something that's more than adequate, just in case. While the 223 may work for some, that tiny bullet at a bit past normal ranges doesn't offer nearly the wounding capability of a 140gr 6.5. That's where the larger and more efficient round makes sense, I.E. a over 200yd shot on a mulie.

A rifle that fits him/ or her good and a cartridge that won't affect the shooting skills,,, when we were young we enjoyed shooting rifles that weren't to hard on us... Keeping it fun and exciting could turn this into a life time passion...

Nothing like asking him or her what cartridge they would like to shoot out of the list of many...

Let them find something that feels good to them since its a team effort,,, gosh they would be so thrilled to know that Pops or Ma is including them into the adventures ahead...

A chance for you to share your passion and gain input from them at the same time... What a noble idea of you to team up with family jd,,, good times fore sure...

Cheers from the North

Last edited:
A rifle that fits him/ or her good and a cartridge that won't affect the shooting skills,,, when we were young we enjoyed shooting rifles that weren't to hard on us... Keeping it fun and exciting could turn this into a life time passion...

Nothing like asking him or her what cartridge they would like to shoot out of the list of many...

Let them find something that feels good to them since its a team effort,,, gosh they would be so thrilled to know that Pops or Ma is including them into the adventures ahead...

A chance for you to share your passion and gain input from them at the same time... What a noble idea of you to team up with family jd,,, good times fore sure...

Cheers from the North

For me. That's what it's all about, creating those memories. Don't get me wrong, I like building rifles, shooting and giving it the best we have during the hunt but spending time together is #1. She has been whitetail hunting with me since she was 2. I had to pack along the coloring books and snacks back then but we managed to get a few deer together. She harvested her first deer during archery season with a crossbow a few years ago. As she is getting older it is getting harder with school, activities and life in general. This opportunity in itself is a dream come true for us. I have never hunted Canyon type terrain before so I'm really looking forward to her taking me along, since it is her hunt to begin with.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.