Suitable youth rifle for a Mule Deer hunt?

What are the platforms that you have to build off of? Remington? Savage? Other?

American Rifle Co. which has a Remington footprint with savage small shank threads. The actions I have are short actions with both standard and magnum bolt faces.

I build also and was going to build my daughter a full custom but it came down to a rifle that fit her correctly as a girl and you just can't get one unless its a factory like the Camilla or Savage Lady Hunter.
Buying that Camilla for my daughter was the best move I made, I really didn't understand just how much difference there needs to be for these young ladies and stock fit till I shot her rifle, it's almost not usable for me yet she can pull up and just smoke a deer with it because it fits a lady.
She's been hunting with me for a long time, by the time she was 8 she was picking my shots and giving me ranges and doing pretty decent as a spotter. Last year was the first year I sat back and watched her solo a mule deer buck, it was so awesome to watch, he gave her a broadside look just under 300 yards, he's been great eating!!
I can't stress enough to get a gun that fits a lady, like really fits not just she can shoot it fine or we can make it fit bit when she pulls up her head is up, check weld is natural and the stock meets her shoulder at the correct angle, worth every penny!!

For me. That's what it's all about, creating those memories. Don't get me wrong, I like building rifles, shooting and giving it the best we have during the hunt but spending time together is #1. She has been whitetail hunting with me since she was 2. I had to pack along the coloring books and snacks back then but we managed to get a few deer together. She harvested her first deer during archery season with a crossbow a few years ago. As she is getting older it is getting harder with school, activities and life in general. This opportunity in itself is a dream come true for us. I have never hunted Canyon type terrain before so I'm really looking forward to her taking me along, since it is her hunt to begin with.

I couldn't agree more, its about time spent together and creating memories for a lifetime.

That said, you also want to make sure it not ruined by a bad shot. I would go with a good bullet that will penetrate the shoulder and reach vitals, something like the 100gr partition on the Grendel.

I believe from experience Mulies are easier to kill than Whitetails.

If you want ro buy a gun for her then get something for a lady as mentioned before and I would go with a 7mm-08, low recoil with the 120gr Ballistic Tip or a 120gr Sierra Pro Hunter. You can also load the 139gr SST and works great out to 500yds.

Hope this helps.

One rifle not mentioned is the TC/Dimension, mutable calibers & cartridges ,make a list for her to pick from , this gives her something she can use (Now) & still grow into,& be happy she had some say in the choice .o_O;);)

for the cost of a new barrel you can buy a youth model savage in 7mm/308 that will last a lifetime. The one I bought my wife prints .75" groups regardless of the bullet weights I use with a little tuning.

I'll be taking my 13 year old on a mule deer hunt that she was drawn for and I'm looking for ideas on a good cartridge that is suitable for the job. It says in the hunt guide that most shots will be 200 yards or further. I have a 6.5 Grendel for her to whitetail hunt with. Though it has done well for close range whitetail, I don't feel it is a good choice for Mule deer at the suggested ranges. The other two options I have available is a 14lb match rifle in 6mm Creedmoor or a 300wsm. I'm unsure that a 100-110gr 6mm is enough and personally think the 300wsm will be a bit much recoil. The two cartridges that come to mind that I think would be a good middle of the road cartridge for this application would be the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC. It wouldn't take much for me to spin up another barrel and swap it out ...accept for the fact that I don't have a barrel laying around. Maybe I can get by with what I have or maybe I need to buy a barrel? Looking for some ideas and opinions. Also to add, I have never hunted Mule deer so it will be a new adventure for the both of us. Thanks ahead of time for any tips, tricks & advice
.243, & 7mm08 are great rounds for young guys...

I have a friend who has converted his whole family to the 6.5 Grendel in AR platforms for hunting deer up to elk. Shots are always within a few hundred yards and they get the job done according to him.

However, I have exactly what you need. I have an ultralight I built in 6mm Dasher for deer hunting. The rifle itself weights 5.5 lbs and is perfect for a youth to carry around all day, easy to handle and almost no recoil. It pushes the 105+ grain 6mm projectiles up to 3000 fps. That has been a killer combo on deer of all sizes.

You can always go with a premium bullet if you want more penetration through shoulders. I don't shoot shoulders as I want to save as much meat as possible especially on deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.