Such thing as a scope too closer to a barrel?

I agree. Looks perfect. How's the eye box for you since you moved it forward? As long as you can still get comfortable shooting position behind it, I'd say you are gtg.
Eye relief is ok, all I have to do is slide my head forward 3/8" further now which isn't a big deal

Good to hear. I know with some scopes shooting prone I wouldn't even consider moving them forward 3/8" because I'm already craning my neck to get in the eye box!

Luckily I dropped the coin on a Leupold VX2 AO CDS so eye relief is pretty darn good!

I also like a bit of daylight between the scope and barrel (whomever said the thickness of a nickel is right on). However, I put position over everything else. I have found that when positioning a scope for comfort it is fairly high as I like my head to be somewhat upright. This is especially so with a rifle I will be sitting behind for extended period of glassing.

I also like a bit of daylight between the scope and barrel (whomever said the thickness of a nickel is right on). However, I put position over everything else. I have found that when positioning a scope for comfort it is fairly high as I like my head to be somewhat upright. This is especially so with a rifle I will be sitting behind for extended period of glassing.

Thanks for the confirmation. I have about .010" less than a nickel thickness of clearnce between my barrel and the barrel. You think that will be enough to ensure the barrel isn't contacting the scope during the shot?

timberelk,
Your setup is good. In fact, I wouldn't have changed it from the first pic you sent. If I can get a dollar bill to slide between the objective lens and barrel, it's good. I like what MosesTheTank said about comfort and position. This, for me, is first on the list. I want to be able to put my cheek to the stock and the scope be aligned perfectly and not have to crank or stretch my neck to get a perfect, full field of view. The rifle should "fit" like a good boot. You put it on and it just fits, you don't have to keep adjusting it all day, they don't hurt your feet, and you're not "grabbing" them with your toes (like flip-flops). That's the way a rifle should come up, cheek "welded" to the same position every time, ready to do its business. If you have to crank your head and neck forward, it's not a good fit.
I don't think you will have any problems with the scope and barrel contacting during shots. I've had scope/barrel's closer and never had trouble. Good luck and let us know how she shoots! JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.