Scope Rings too high?

Rmitch223

Just installed a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP on my Rem. 700 SPS tactical.

I used TPS steel medium rings and a TPS 20 MOA base.
TPS makes some quality stuff for sure. very nice for the price.

Looks to tall for me. Too far off the barrel and too tall for a good check weld. I could put more inserts in the Traid stock pack to get a better check weld but its still to high off the barrel don't you guys think?

The medium measure 1.075 and the lows I'm gonna try are .925.

Thinks its worth switching the the low rings?

Here are a few pics.

ScopePic2_zps5bc067a8.jpg

ScopePic1_zps25442b9d.jpg

Yes it is worth changing. 1.075 down to 0.925 = .15 and does not look like enough. I like my scope just under .25 above the barrel which leaves plenty of room for butler creek caps without being any higher than necessary. That looks like almost a 1/2"

The medium measure 1.075 and the lows I'm gonna try are .925.

Thinks its worth switching the the low rings?

No, not those low rings. You will only gain .150" and it looks like you need closer to .400"~.500" I would look into other lower rings than the .925's

That must be a very tall rail too.

Jeff

Measure the distance between the bell on the scope and the barrel and do the math. Does not need a lot of clearance. Be careful and confirm that if you need to slide the scope rearward that the rail does not get into the scope taper with the low rings of choice.

Good point, he looks like he'll be ok if he is just dropping it straight down. I always cut those extended rails off even with the lead edge of the receiver using a cut wheel on a dremel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts