Is this too much to ask for in a scope?…

Dirt_Nap

This is what I'm looking for…

Mil scope with at least 20x
Great tracking
Stupid clear glass
No tight eyebox
Great eye relief
And lightweight 25oz +/-

Unrealistic?!

Dirt_Nap,

love your avatar — that's my country! 😊

To your question with the severe weight restriction — which is not uncommon on the forums. I'll voice my thoughts not so much toward just you, but us as a community of shooters:

I wonder, if all of us that demand of a scope not just to be "stupid-repeatable" and "stupid-clear" — but to be also "stupid-light" — do we make the same demands on our other equipment? For example:

▪ How easy do we excuse an additional 5 ounces in the rifle we choose? (5oz would put your request into much more realistic territory of a 30oz scope. 😉)
▪ Do we scrutinize the weight of a full mag?
▪ Or the weight of our sling and its metal hooks? The weight of the silencer/break?
▪ Our LRF?
▪ Our jacket?
▪ Boots?
▪ Backpack?

I could go on.

It seems — to me — that many (not all) want to shave off weight of the scope — arguably the most intricated and vulnerable piece of equipment we carry (besides our LRF, maybe).
Why put most of our weight saving's demands on the scope — and not on the other less critical items? Or the heavier items (like the rifle)?

Not criticizing.... — Just wondering out loud....
I could be wrong.
It has happened before.
Once. Maybe twice.
In the last hour or so.

Matthias

You're asking for
▪ "at least 20x" and
▪ "no tight eyebox" —
which depends to a large part on a large objective lens ("large for magnification") —
which is diametrically opposed to another requirement:
▪ "25oz" light
Just sayin'.... 😄

Hete are some models that fulfill some of your requirements, whereas I can't say much about some of your other requirements — I have not looked through them or tested them:

🔶 Hawke: Frontier 30 FFP series [No. 18540]
5-25x56 FFP
Reticle: Mil Pro 25x, gridded, no thick outside posts
$1050
This is Hawke's top line, with new turrets, I would expect reasonable precision.
Weight: 24.8oz
Locking Turrets | 0-Stop | 8mil/turn
Eyebox: Since it has a 56mm objective, the exit pupil is 11-2.2mm, so based on that at 20x you should have a fairly generous eye box

🔶 Hawke: Frontier 30 FFP series [No. 18530]
4-20x50 FFP
Reticle: Mil Pro 20x
$1050
Weight: 22.2
Other specs are the same as the 6-24x56 above.

🔶 Trijicon: Tenmile series
4-24x50 SFP
Reticle: MIL Red Dot [No. TM42450-C-3000007] | or MIL Green Dot [No. TM42450-C-3000008] | Calibrated at 24x
$1890
Weight: 25.7oz
0-Stop; Turn Counter; Capped Windage Turret

🔶 Maven: RS.5
4-24x50 SFP

Reticle: SHR-MIL Ret.
$1400
Weight: 25.5oz
0-Stop; Windage capped

I understand your quest for the ideal scope quite well. It has kept me up late at night.
Oh, look, it's already 0:30 on my side of the globe..... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Cheers, 😊

Matthias

Last edited:
My first year as a rifle carrying hunter was disappointing but extremely educational.
I was 16, had bought a scope for a rifle my dad had given me. I went cheap because I didn't know any better. It cost me a wide, tall, 4x4 muley buck because I couldn't see him in the scope (it was just at legal shooting light). By the time my dad handed me his rifle with a Leupold scope on it, and I got the buck in the scope, he stepped into the trees and was gone. I learned the hard way to spend more on my scope because it was the most important piece (other than me as the shooter) of the shooting system (at least in my opinion). I have tried a bunch of different scope manufacturers, and I have Leica, Zeiss, Leupold, Steiner and Meopta scopes on different rifles depending on what they are used for. My loaner 308 has a Steiner, my Yote AR has a Meopta Optika 6, most of my Big Game rifles have Leupold, Zeiss or Leica.
I never once gave thought to the weight of the scope before purchasing. I focused on its intended use, magnification I want, clear glass, tracking and diopter adjustment (old eyes).
I'm older, still get out in the mountains, and honestly don't pay much attention to the total weight of the rifle I'm carrying. Now Full Disclosure, I'm not backpack spike camp hunting any longer, so maybe that has something to do with it. That said, after my first hunt experience, I've never once not been able to take a shot on a game animal because of the glass the rifle was wearing.
Just something to consider.

You mean a mk5 leupy, with the tracking of an atacr, with the glass of a swaro?
Not an unrealistic request in my opinion.
I just put together a LW carry rifle. I have some great scopes. My K525i is the ticket on my heavy rifle. That being said I put a MK5 3-15 with the wind reticle on it. I am not unhappy. It checks all those boxes.

I'm in the process of a light weight build and have the same thoughts! I haven't ordered a scope yet but I'm 99% sure it will be a vortex razor HD LHT 4.5-22. Unlikely to have stupid clear glass but I think it will be acceptable, I will trust the turrets for then Leupold and it is light weight. Anybody that has one want to chime in about it?

This is what I'm looking for…

Mil scope with at least 20x
Great tracking
Stupid clear glass
No tight eyebox
Great eye relief
And lightweight 25oz +/-

Unrealistic?!
You need to establish a budget; otherwise, you might get recommendations outside your budget and as much information as possible, i.e., FFP vs. SFP, illumination, reticle preference, etc., so it yields close to what you seek. You might have to compromise, though. Good luck!

My 25 ounce March 2 1/2-25X52 definitely has better glass than the four Swarovski z5 5-25X52 I bought. Not only that, it is barely better in low light.

The elevation always works correctly. The windage moved too much on one occasion. I plan to buy another.

By the way, it is second focal plane. March has a first focal plane about the same weight. I think it is 3 1/2-24X.

Sitting on my 260 now from hunting and NRL Hunter
I have one of these on a 7 SAUM and a 3-15x42 on a .308 and they work well. Since illumination is not on your list they are worth looking at. The push button illumination aggravates the crap out of me though.

1692216208373.png