sub sonic long range

screech

I just got my tax stamp to be able to pick up my suppressors when I get a chance to go home. I bought a 300 black out in a 700. My question is is there anything special I should know about sub sonic bullets that differ from super sonic bullets. I know drop with be more along with wind and time of flight. What I guess I'm wondering is there more spin drift or anything that I may not have encountered with supersonic shooting? I will try calling gun works to see if the br2 will calculate subsonic drops and if not ill have to pull out the old kestrell and PDA in hopes that the night force program will work. Basically if there's any pointers or any help full info on subsonic bullets that would be helpful I would appreciate the knowledge shared. Thanks in advance

I have shot the BO to 375 yards and it was fun. Not sure about the br2 will run with a truly subsonic combo, should not be too difficult. You will have a blast with as can and the SS loads. Get us some pics when you get it all together.

Azprc thanks for the reply I would post a pics if I knew how but I can't seem to get it to work. Ya should be fun. I'll see how the br2 works with it

Are we talking long distance hunting or long distance paper & targets? The best sub-sonic hunting bullet I have found is the 225 gr. made by Outlaw bullets. The BC sucks (not even sure I know what it is), but it will open up reliably at longer distances, whereas the typical refile bullets will pencil just through - or tumble, if you are lucky.

Are we talking long distance hunting or long distance paper & targets? The best sub-sonic hunting bullet I have found is the 225 gr. made by Outlaw bullets. The BC sucks (not even sure I know what it is), but it will open up reliably at longer distances, whereas the typical refile bullets will pencil just through - or tumble, if you are lucky.

What about the 208 amax?

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 300 Whisper® :: 300 Whisper® 208 gr A-MAX®

Looks like decent expansion. Not great but at 1000fps it dosent look bad

208 A-Max requires about 1,800 fps to open up. Nosler's Long Range Accubond reportedly only needs about 1,400 fps - but that still is well above sub-sonic. The best subsonic is the Outlaw or possibly the 240 gr. SMK - if you can get it to tumble after impact.

The problem I have seen with running sub loads is the velocity spreads and accuracy. I have shot out to 400 yards with my sub/suppressed gun. Mine is a .510 caliber and with the 750 Amax with a G1 BC of about 1.0 it only loses 100 fps velocity out to aroud 600 yards. I have hunted with it but with Lehigh Defense subsonic fracturing bullets. Shot several animals last year and all were bang flops out to 200 yards, only without the dramatic bang. They claim expansion/fragmentation down to 750 fps with a BC of .884. That would make my rifle deadly way out there, but I believe the BC number to be quite inflated. I also have 40 MOA built into the mount and rings so as to have plenty of "up" adjustment. The trajectory is quite dramatic at extended range as you can imagine.
I am thinking about buying some in .30 caliber to load in my 308 for my daughter to hunt with, but she shoots full power loads just fine. Since I get .308 ammo basically for nothing I don't think I should mess with it. It has a 20" threaded barrel and she likes to hunt with the suppressor attached.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.