poly-tipped bullet vs. hollowpoint transitioning into sub-sonic?

Ernie

SPONSOR
Is there any data on what type/style bullet transitions better (better accuracy) after it has gone sub-sonic?
Poly? HP?
Thanks for your insight into this.

I have no documented data at this time but I can tell you that I have shot just about every kind of match-grade bullet out there (poly tipped, hollow,and fmj) to their limits and all had worse accuracy when they went subsonic. None were particularly better than another, although I think I did have some .22 75 amax obliterate in mid air after they began to de-stabilize!

Ern,

most of the bullets used past their TS range arent poly-tipped, cause they dont make them that heavy...

other than 6mm, the rest of the top end weight bullets are HP or solids.

which category does the 750amax fall into with its tip ?

good luck!

if nothing else, you may end up answering your own question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

XPhunter, Remember the actual point of a bullet has very little effect on flight since the air is being parted in front of the bullet. The ogive and bullet balance if much more critical on a bullet going through the air and then dropping down sub-sonic. This is a much bigger problen on handgun bullets rather than rifle bullets because of the initial velocity of each. A rifle bullet seldom goes sub-sonic, but many hanguns are barely sonic to begin with!

Thanks guys! I'm just starting to educate myself in this area. Steve Hugel (sscoyote) and myself will being doing some LR PD shooting in October. I have 2 XP-100's and a MOA Maximum specialty handgun (6.5-284, 6mm-284, & 6.5-284)that I intend to use. The 6.5's push either 140 Amax or the 142 SMK between 2700 & 2775 @ the Muzzle. I'm using the 115 Tubb with the 6mm-284 again in the 2700+ range. Our goal is to start at around the 1k range and work our way toward 1 mile. elev will be around 5,000 ft.
Will also shoot some at a steel target @ 1 mile too.

Ern -- make sure you shoot some paper at 1 mile too to see if the bullets are going in angled -- might get some good info from this testing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

I hadn't even thought about paper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
We will put some up-now I'm curious already.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.