STW vs 7-300 WBY

4xforfun

Do you guys think that there would be two cents worth of difference between a 7 STW and a 7-300 WBY? My interests are falling away from the 600/1000 yard BR scene and more towards "tactical" type steel/rock shooting and, as always, hunting. I am have one Rem on an A5 with a 300 wby and a 338 edge tube. I also am getting two of my BAT action BR guns restocked with A5 type stocks to shoot up the 1/2 used BR tubes. BUT, a little less recoil would not hurt my feelings and I am thinking that a STW sized case with 180 class bullets would reduce my recoil by as much as 20 - 25% over the 300 with 215 - 230 grain pills.

The reason I would use the WBY case vs the STW is that I have 500 new Norma 300 (340 WBY brass necked ant turned.....ie.... fully match prepped) cases laying around, along with a whole pluthera of assorted 300 wby FL and neck Bushing dies. One of the guns (rem 700) feeds the 300 WBY through the clip once I modified it, so I figured the 7-300 would feed the same. The other guns are single shot BAT's.

If I remember right. I did some load development on a friends 1970's era LR bench gun. The dies he had were horsesh!t and if I remember right I used my 300 WBY bushing dies with the proper bushings to straighten things out. So...my only expense is the tube, the smith, and the reamer.

Anyone find any errors on my line of thinking?? Potential problems? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tod

Having never owner a 7-300 Wby, and just estimating, I would say they should be close.

You might could always fire-form them into STW brass... .300 Wby and STW are very similar in length... Just another thought.

In My Opinion. I do not know why anyone would choose to own the 7 STW, or the 7-300. I know I am going to get a lot of flack by saying that:D!!! But why does a person want to buy a 7STW when brass is expensive and hard to come by? The performance nowadays, does not surpass the 7 Rem. The 7mm-300 is a wildcat that you can not buy brass for and you have to waste a lot of time fireforming. If a person wants to have a great performing 7mm mag, just bore the lead to 3.7 inches. Set a 175 gr LRAB or 180 gr Berger to 3.5 inches coal. This will leave a .284 area of the bullet just in front of the boattail in the case. Load it up with Retumbo or RL33. A 26 to 27 inch barrel will give 3100 to 3200 fps depending on the given rifles characteristics. I.E. Barrel etc. Same as the 7 STW or 7-300. I do get 6 reloads out of my brass for those that say that I am over pressure.gun)

In My Opinion. I do not know why anyone would choose to own the 7 STW, or the 7-300. I know I am going to get a lot of flack by saying that:D!!! But why does a person want to buy a 7STW when brass is expensive and hard to come by? The performance nowadays, does not surpass the 7 Rem. The 7mm-300 is a wildcat that you can not buy brass for and you have to waste a lot of time fireforming. If a person wants to have a great performing 7mm mag, just bore the lead to 3.7 inches. Set a 175 gr LRAB or 180 gr Berger to 3.5 inches coal. This will leave a .284 area of the bullet just in front of the boattail in the case. Load it up with Retumbo or RL33. A 26 to 27 inch barrel will give 3100 to 3200 fps depending on the given rifles characteristics. I.E. Barrel etc. Same as the 7 STW or 7-300. I do get 6 reloads out of my brass for those that say that I am over pressure.gun)

Brass is very easy to find... Midway has 7mm STW and 8mmRM in stock right now. :D

Really guys....really. Did you not read my post??? I already have 500 prepped brass!!!! All I need to do neck them down....no other changes!!! No fireforming.....the 7-300 wby simply a 300 wby necked down to .284...no other changes. I already have the brass...that is why I would go this rout!!

And why would I FF to make them into an STW? That adds a whole nother step and would require the purchase of all new dies to get baisicly the same thing with NONE of the work or expence of loading and shooting FF loads!!!

So, the brass question has been asked and answered!!!

Next....

I have a couple 7-300 weatherbys. Ran across a good deal on a reamer and had a set of dies I picked up years ago. I use 7stw load data to get started and weatherby headstamped brass. Quality seems very good, although I skim turn the necks to even them up some. 3100 fps with 180 hybrids and imr 7828. Not a max load. 28'' barrel.accuracy has been outstanding with sendero contoured fluted hart barrels. No fireforming, just neck down 300 weatherby brass and go. There is a big weight difference between r-p brass and weatherby brass. Right around 20 grains I think.

If you set your reamer up for your bullet what's not to like?? Not having the freebore issues of factory weatherby chambers. It most likely will perform slightly better at equal pressure. But a fast barrel in stw vs a slow barrel in 7-300wby would negate any such advantage. I like the round shoulder to feed better in an improved style case.
Best of luck

4xforfun, let me know if you decide to go that route, I have some extra dies if you need a seater or whatever. For me it has been a great cartridge, I shot the 7stw for a few years, brass got hard to find and I started tinkering with the 7-300. Ballistically it and the stw are pretty identical. Other powders may do better but 7828 gave me good velocity and accuracy so I haven't wasted a lot of barrel on load workup.

Really guys....really. Did you not read my post??? I already have 500 prepped brass!!!! All I need to do neck them down....no other changes!!! No fireforming.....the 7-300 wby simply a 300 wby necked down to .284...no other changes. I already have the brass...that is why I would go this rout!!

And why would I FF to make them into an STW? That adds a whole nother step and would require the purchase of all new dies to get baisicly the same thing with NONE of the work or expence of loading and shooting FF loads!!!

So, the brass question has been asked and answered!!!

Next....

neck 'em down and let 'er buck!!! You will get performance in the 7stw/ 7rum range... Basically running with ieh's 7rem at 10Kpsi less pressure...

If I wanted to build a high performance 7mm and had the 30roy brass set aside I wouldn't even blink on this one...As it is I have a 7mmstw and 7rum so I'm not in the market... As to data, with a bit of care you can use 7stw load data as a starting point.

Cuz, you got a set of 7-300 Wby dies? If 4x doesn't want them, I might be interested... What brand?

Last edited:
John, you got a set of 7-300 Wby dies? If 4x doesn't want them, I might be interested... What brand?

no, but hopefully soon I'll have spare 7stw dies.... there are a couple of rifles calling my name at my lgs and one is a stw...

at present I would use my buddie's 30roy dies as a body die and neck size with my 7rum die... I've used 300rum dies to neck size 30roy brass before with good success.

I think I have only one set with a neck sizer. I do have a couple other sets though. I will check what I have. I bought dies when I found them in case I get rid of one of the rifles I will have a set of dies to go with them. So far I have only had 2 rifles chambered in 7-300.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts