Stw sps

riemer

Ready to pull the trigger on a SPS STW with a brake and curious if anyone has tried the SPS or SPS with a brake? How do they shoot? Any issues?

Thank you.

I read that post and was swayed even more to buy the gun. I was hoping to hear even more positive experiences. It seems from all the past posts I've read, that guys are leaning more toward the 300's and 338's on big game. I think for my purposed that the 7 STW is the way to go for whitetail, black bear and possibly mulies or prong horn.
I currrently shoot a 7 weatherby mag but feel the need for something a little different.

Thank you.

I read that post and was swayed even more to buy the gun. I was hoping to hear even more positive experiences. It seems from all the past posts I've read, that guys are leaning more toward the 300's and 338's on big game. I think for my purposed that the 7 STW is the way to go for whitetail, black bear and possibly mulies or prong horn.
I currrently shoot a 7 weatherby mag but feel the need for something a little different.
I have a bunch of 7's, several .30's, and bought a .338 WM that wouldn't ever shoot the same hole twice at 100 yards. That turned me off of big bores. I rebarreled it to a 7mm RM and was MUCH happier.

This next part is not meant to **** in anyone's wheaties, but it is simply my opinion on the big .338's and monster case calibers.

In hunting and guns, just like anything else, you reach a point of rediculouslness and personal opinion and lack of skills to overcompenate for. This goes for calibers, cover scents, all the new whiz-bang gadgets you can buy at your local Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas, fishing, camping, or anything else these days. Which is where, IMO, the big .338's and monster calibers come into play. If you don't have the skills to shoot game at 1000 yards with a .308 caliber or smaller, then you shouldn't be trying to shoot big game with a .338 Lapua because it's better at compensating for windage, and the bigger bullet hits harder and is more "lenient" for helping compensate with a poor shot. I personally feel that if you aren't 100% confident in taking that shot, then you shouldn't be taking that shot period. No matter what gun you have in your hand. That's how animals get maimed and that's how LR hunting gets a bad wrap...

Yes, I have some big .30's and some big 7mm's.....But I feel anything bigger than an 8mm is just pointless, unless it serves a specifici purpose.

Granted, with new advancements in bullets, the big .375 calibers are looking like a better option than the .338's. Would I own one? Most likely not... Because for me, it's a matter of practicality...And I have no need for a .375 RUM or larger. I have no need for anything larger than my .300 Ackley.

Any of you guys try the Nosler custom 175LRAB loaded ammo? Just curious, looking to buy some loaded rounds to sight it in and break it in before I start load development.

Mud
I'm glad you put this in the 7 STW Forum where nobody will see it.
;-)
I've voiced this opinion out on the open forum several times. It usually doesn't go over well.

But everyone knows that is my OPINION. Therefore if they think their opinion is more factual or correct, then that's THEIR opinion.

Just like trying to explain to the .338 guys that velocity vs bullet weight can equal the same end result....But they won't ever admit it.

For example a 180 7mm traveling at 3,100 fps vs a 300gr .338 traveling at 2,800 fps. The 7mm will lose speed faster because it has less forward momentum from the lighter weight. But the .338 starts out slower and starts slowing down slower from the heavy weight which means it will lose energy. They should both impact at nearly the same energy regardless of weight vs speed or caliber diameter.

I've voiced this opinion out on the open forum several times. It usually doesn't go over well.

But everyone knows that is my OPINION. Therefore if they think their opinion is more factual or correct, then that's THEIR opinion.

Just like trying to explain to the .338 guys that velocity vs bullet weight can equal the same end result....But they won't ever admit it.

For example a 180 7mm traveling at 3,100 fps vs a 300gr .338 traveling at 2,800 fps. The 7mm will lose speed faster because it has less forward momentum from the lighter weight. But the .338 starts out slower and starts slowing down slower from the heavy weight which means it will lose energy. They should both impact at nearly the same energy regardless of weight vs speed or caliber diameter.

Mudrunner
You had my support when you were stating your own opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Unfortunately, we're not entitled to our own facts. The reason you can't convince the big bore guys that a fast 7mm is just as good as a 338 LM for long range shooting is "ify" at best. Although the two bullets are travelling at almost identical speeds at 1000 yards, the 300 grain bullet will have over 60% more energy than the 180 grain bullet: 300÷180=1.66. Beyond 1000 yards the 338's advavtage will grow. The difference in energy, 2308 ft/lb vs 1432 ft/lb, makes the 338 a 1000 yard elk round while the 7mm is not.
But that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong. :)

I just talked to Remington and they stated the barrel on SPS with brake is 24" + 2" on the brake. I know i will loose some velocity, but do you guys think the 24" barrel will be a big deal?

I just talked to Remington and they stated the barrel on SPS with brake is 24" + 2" on the brake. I know i will loose some velocity, but do you guys think the 24" barrel will be a big deal?
my dad's remmy dbm 7stw with a 24" + brake barrel was within 50 fps of my sendero with most loads. My current rifle is a bit slow compared to many other stw's but it is both a 24" barrel and a 10" twist (not the 9" and change that most are). I'd work my loads up a bit more for speed but I'm already beating the 7rem and doing normal speeds with heavier bullets so I don't care. I've also got a 7rum here so it doesn't really make sense to push the stw.

I have a bunch of 7's, several .30's, and bought a .338 WM that wouldn't ever shoot the same hole twice at 100 yards. That turned me off of big bores. I rebarreled it to a 7mm RM and was MUCH happier.

Muddy, I know you don't like the 338 but you never really gave it much of a chance either; they can be a bit crabby until you find "the load". I was putting up 1" groups at 200yds with 225ab's pushed by rl19 from my #1 a couple of weeks ago.

I had a buddy out working with his 300roy and 220 grain pills, and I put him on my rifle for him to get the "feel" of a bit more than the average 7 or 30. He put 2 225ab's into an inch spread at 200, then handed the rifle back with the affirmative that he would buy a 338 with a brake on it when the time comes.
P.s., the #1 in question weighs a few oz. over 8# scoped and loaded.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.