Stoney Point Rapid Pivot - Improved Rubber?

jamesmc2

Hey,

I am looking to cut weight and bulk for backpack hunting. The Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Prone bipod seems like just the ticket. Low profile, easy on/off and light weight. I have read a lot of reviews that they work well but frequently the rubber yoke cracks. Anyone know if they have corrected this problem?

My 2 sons and I all use these rapid pivot bipods. We did have one rubber yoke crack - I used shoe-gu on it and it's still holding. I contacted Stoney and after a number of phone calls and quite a bit of time they sent me a replacement yoke. Since then I have order and received 2 new spare yokes that we have not needed.

I have shot off just about every bipod you can think of - Stoney's are far from the best or the most stable but they are still the most user friendly in the field that I have found for horseback/backpacking.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one - remember the yoke is rubber and it will have a certain usable life span.

I bought one a year and a half ago, I had never used it and was driving down a dirt road, spotted a cat that needed shot and when I jumped out and went prone I threw the bipod on and it broke instantly, I sent it back to Midway and bought a set of stoney point shooting sticks

A bench style Snipepod is 4 oz. or 6 oz for larger, good pack style. My favorite bipod @ 10 oz. is the ATLAS

+1 on the Atlas. They are awesome!!! I have used the rapid pivot bipod since they first came out. I was one of the first guys to get to use the proto types with John Burns. The original ones had a different rubber compound and lasted many times longer. Once the company was sold then corners were cut and cheaper rubber and materials were used. Stoney points shooting sticks suffered as well. I have since stopped using them because they break all the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.