New Stuff - Stoney Point Quad Rest

Ian M

Just got a prototype of a slick new rest that Stoney Point is working on - essentially two individually adjustable bipods connected by a cross-arm so that the rifle sits on the forend and the butt. VERY steady, plus you can shoot from sitting all the way up to standing.
Very steady device, lightweight and quick to deploy. I like it as I have been an advocate of resting the front and the back of the rifle for a long time.
You heard it here first!

Don't have any images right now but can tell you a bit more about this rig. I got to shoot a couple of modifications of the idea, including additional telescoping rails which we thought would tighten things up even more.

Bottom line is that unless you are situated at a location and have lots of time, the rig takes too long to get setup. If the critter was not at rest or totally oblivious of your presence I doubt you can set it up quick enough, and we tried. When setup it is very stable can even use it from standing up.

From this experimenting I am pretty much sold on the idea of using two bipods or a set of sticks and a bipod. I can attach my sticks to one leg of a light bipod for hiking, and can get the rifle onto the bipod and the sticks under the rear of the butt very quickly, and the result is rock-steady. I converted some hunters in Wyoming to this idea a while back, and we shot our bucks with the setup.

Don't get me wrong, this is only for locations where I cannot use my Harris and a sandsock because of high vegetation. Shooting is done from sitting.

Nice thing is you can setup on critter, take your hands off the rifle and use your binocs or laser, then go back on the buck and the rifle is still on target if he hasn't moved.

The bipod is a good walking stick and having the sticks attached to one leg does not get in the way at all. I can take some pictures of this when I get them back, my buddy took them on a hunt this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.