Stock painting

I cut up a sea sponge into different shapes.

I didn't put any clear/finish on mine. Some of the ones that I seen with had too much of a sheen. Mine is holding up fine and if you scuff it up just give it a shot of paint.
If you do a search here there's a couple good threads about painting stocks.
You can buy clear with different types of finish. I had some Dupont back in the day you could not get a shine with. Even after buffing. That's when I switched to PPG.

Natural sea sponges for me. Get them at most hobby stores.

I use a matte clear spray paint. It has a touch of sheen, not like a dead flat, but I haven't had any problems getting into rifle range with any of them. Or even archery range on numerous occasions.
ItemImage-796057-q5x5ho-6d1wmg-11tb9i.jpg

I purchased Starline SRP brass for my 260 AI. I believe Starline SRP brass already comes with a larger flash hole. How that affects SD's or strength I don't know.

I cut up a sea sponge into different shapes.

I didn't put any clear/finish on mine. Some of the ones that I seen with had too much of a sheen. Mine is holding up fine and if you scuff it up just give it a shot of paint.
If you do a search here there's a couple good threads about painting stocks.

I used Rust-oleum clear "DEAD FLAT" No sheen!!
Photo of my supplies back a few pages

Natural sea sponges for me. Get them at most hobby stores.

I use a matte clear spray paint. It has a touch of sheen, not like a dead flat, but I haven't had any problems getting into rifle range with any of them. Or even archery range on numerous occasions.
View attachment 479198

Any issues with solvents removing them? Makes me feel better I used something similar. It was a flat color, water resistant rustoleum can I used to do a final coat. Got some butches bore shine on it and it seemed to dissolve everything.

Any issues with solvents removing them? Makes me feel better I used something similar. It was a flat color, water resistant rustoleum can I used to do a final coat. Got some butches bore shine on it and it seemed to dissolve everything.
I am pretty careful to NOT get solvents on my stocks. I use bore guides and a cover over the butt when cleaning.

I am pretty careful to NOT get solvents on my stocks. I use bore guides and a cover over the butt when cleaning.
I usually am too, but didn't have the correct rag under the bore guide and it leaked though. It's the first stock this has happened to me on, so I was trying to figure out if I used the wrong stuff.

Last edited:
I haven't got any solvent on mine yet. During the next cleaning I will try a small spot and see what happens. If the paint comes off I will just clean it, scuff it up and give it a shot of paint. Done

First attempt at stock dipping with spray paint. I was going for a marbled look but think I over stirred in the fore end area. I think I'll keep practicing on the R700 take off before moving up to the actual stock. View attachment 481055View attachment 481056
Looks great, the only thing I see that makes it look bad is the Penn State sticker. 😁 Go MOUNTAINEERS. 👍

Looks great, the only thing I see that makes it look bad is the Penn State sticker. 😁 Go MOUNTAINEERS. 👍
I pull for WVU when they're not playing PSU. I misspent a large portion of my youth trying to kill myself in a kayak. Got the crap beat out of me outside of Morgantown for wearing a PSU hat into a bar. Good times.