Stiller Predator vs Rem 700

USAF Marksman

I'll be building my first semi-custom/custom rig when I get back from my deployment next summer. It will either be a 6x47L or 243AI. I've got a Rem 700 CDL in 243 right now that I've been thinking will be my donor rifle. I've been reading around and see that a Stiller Predator will be about equivalent in price once the 700 has been trued up. I'm currently set on a pac nor barrel, and their website has a price list hat shows $300 for fitting/chambering/ lapping/ and trueing of the action. Plus the $450 for the blank and flutting. That puts me at $750ish for my barreled action.

Assuming the same price for the barrel, and if I could get $500 out of my CDL(which would essentially pay for the barrel, what's a Stiller Predator gonna run me, and the cost to have that barrel fitted to the action? Since the Predator shouldn't need to be trued, I could just have a smith fit the barrel. How much would that run? If running the full custom route is only going to be a few hundred dollars more, I don't see the point in not going that route. If I'm way off in my thinking/pricing here ( which wouldn't be a surprise) then I'll just use my action as a donor and have the work done. I'll have to figure a trigger into the Stiller as well, but that's ok, because I'd probably replace the X Mark on my CDL anyways.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

If you already have the 700, the price should be noticeably cheaper than starting over and buying a new Stiller action. Those similar price comparisons are for folks who don't already have a donor rifle sitting around.

I would just blueprint and build off your 700 action you already have. maybe have the smith install a Wyatt's extended mag box in there while he's got it, that way you can seat the longer heavy high-BC bullets up near the lands.

Also, thanks for your service, and Godspeed. My brother is on his 2nd right now, and should be back stateside 1st week of March.

The Stiller Predator would run you about $1000.00 + about 75.00 or so with a 20 MOA rail. It does have a few perks over a 700 action. It has a nitrided spiral fluted bolt, pinned recoil lug and a side mounted bolt release. Also, a M-16 type extractor and a larger magazine cut-out for a Wyatts extended box (at least my Tac 300s do, not positive about the .308 bolt face Predators). You would be good going either way, if you use a good smith for truing the 700. I shoot both, but I think the resale value of the Stiller + the cost of truing a 700 makes it a tossup.

Also, a M-16 type extractor and a larger magazine cut-out for a Wyatts extended box (at least my Tac 300s do, not positive about the .308 bolt face Predators).

I know the Predator LA mags have the larger cutout.

Another expense to consider with a custom action is bottom metal which will run around another $100+ if you don't already have it.

Also, to the OP. Pacnor has a military discount that really helps when you're getting a lot of work done.

It depends on how much work you have done to the remmy.. tac knob, spiral fluting bolt, side bolt release, m16 extractor, etc, etc.. the stiller will cost about the same as you mentioned. Really depends on what you want. If all of those features are desirable to you, I think the stiller is the better value. Like you, I sold my rem 700 to fund a stiller and am glad I did.

Best pricing on stiller's is Bugholes.com; they run about a grand with rail.
Barrel fitting usually runs 250 to 300 for most smiths, so the pacnor price seems pretty reasonable.

If you decide to build on the rem 700, I would consider LRI (Long Rifles Inc.).. they have been doing a "group buy" for a few years now and their prices and quality of work are top notch. They have the group buy form on their website.

Another soon to be good option would be a Curtis Custom 'Axiom'. Custom action for $750 is tough to beat. No reason to true up a remmy at that price.

AXIOM - Curtis Custom

THanks for all of the input so far guys. This sure is helping to put my mind at ease. So far, I think I really like the sound of this Curtis Custom the most. I can deal with spending a little bit more on the custom action. I could give two sh*** about bolt flutting, and that seems to be be the only difference between that and the predator. Plus, it comes with a 20 MOA rail. Any idea when these will be available? He will probably have an order list a mile long at that price. Might just have to send him an email to see what's up. second on the list would probably be working the 700 I have.

Mudrunner, thanks for the kind words. Thanks to your brother as well. Being in the service, and being around so many vets has really taught me to appreciate what they do and what they stand for. Hope he comes home safe and sound.

Once I pull the trigger and get everything together and home, I'll be sure to post up in the gun pics and hopefully some trophy pics as well. I can't wait!

I am also waiting for a Curtis action and was told January 2016.
The 6x47 lapua is a good choice as well (better case design over .243 AI).
I'm still trying to decide which 6mm to build on my Axiom when it's available. It's between 6 Creedmoor, 6XC, and 6x47.

Good luck with the build.

I'd get a push feed Win 70 action that's as stiff as a Predator and resists twisting in epoxy bedding with its flat bottom and side surfaces. They'll shoot just as accurate as a Predator and cost less after trued up. They're almost 3 times stiffer than Remington's which are virtually identical to the Rem 700.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.