Sticky Brass from SS Tumbling & Annealing

bill123

I got into SS tumbling and annealing at the same time and ran my first batch last night. 3X fired Lapua brass, SS tumbled for 3 hours and annealed on a Benchsource. The processed brass is so dry that it seems to soak up Imperial Sizing Wax. I had to put about twice as much on the body & neck as I usually do. My question is does anyone find ES/SD inconsistency after SS tumbling and annealing because the case necks are so sticky? I don't usually do anything more to the neck insides than rub a waxy fingertip on the case mouth before expanding. Do I need to do more?

I usually use Imperial case sizing wax on the body, and for the necks I use Imperial dry neck lube, no wax in or out. Body size them first, wipe off the excess wax, then neck size them.

I have not noticed any excessive need for wax after SS tumbling and annealing. Just a small daub of wax on my fingertip will work for the case, and after a few cases there's always a bit left inside the die should I apply a little less than I should have.

I have not seen sticky necks as you have from stainless tumbling or annealing or both however I have noticed the mouth of the necks get slightly shot peened from banging into other cases. This can make bullet seating more difficult so I do a light inside neck chamfer if I am not doing a case trim. By the way, I would say that 3 hours in the 20 lb drum is not enough. I think 4 hours is about right and I usually go a bit over that. In the small drums, 3 hours is plenty but they only do about 20 -25 cases at a time. I have both sizes and use either depending on how much brass I'm cleaning.

I usually use Imperial case sizing wax on the body, and for the necks I use Imperial dry neck lube, no wax in or out. Body size them first, wipe off the excess wax, then neck size them.

I have not noticed any excessive need for wax after SS tumbling and annealing. Just a small daub of wax on my fingertip will work for the case, and after a few cases there's always a bit left inside the die should I apply a little less than I should have.

Thanks. I shot some of the rounds this pm and sd & precision was as expected. Brass may have been dry but no ill effects. I did notice the peening but got rid of it w debuting and. chamferring.

My process seems to be the same as yours with the same equipment. I use RCBS lube and pad for case lube. And wipe off with a rag with a little brake clean after sizing. Then after priming dip the necks in Imperial dry lube to seat bullets. They glide in very consistently and my ES is very good. Often single digits from a 5 shot string. I pay more attention to my vertical spread beyond 1000 though and it is good as well.

Jeff

No offense Taken but way less of what cleaning, annealing?
Less of both -unless needed for some reason.
The carbon fouling inside cases is perfect for us as it is. Removing it just throws you into solving it's absence. re-lubing necks to seat bullets, drying & re-coating brass to prevent tarnish, etc.
And for no gain

I do all of my sizing first and lube the inside of the neck with RCBS sizing lube using a bore swab with a small amount of lube on it.

Then after solvent cleaning to remove any sizing lube, I start my pre-loading prep (Trimming, turning, de-burring primer pockets ETC.

Then I tumble in the SS media and after enough time depending on the brass condition I do a thorough rinse to remove all detergent, At This point the brass is pristine and ready to load.

I don't have any problems seating the bullets and this method gives me good SDs (The bullet grip
is good and consistent with nothing inside the neck.

If the cases are sized, de-burred, trimmed, turned, Annealed and cleaned properly you should not have any problems.

Just the way I do it.

J E CUSTOM

I do all of my sizing first and lube the inside of the neck with RCBS sizing lube using a bore swab with a small amount of lube on it.

Then after solvent cleaning to remove any sizing lube, I start my pre-loading prep (Trimming, turning, de-burring primer pockets ETC.

Then I tumble in the SS media and after enough time depending on the brass condition I do a thorough rinse to remove all detergent, At This point the brass is pristine and ready to load.

I don't have any problems seating the bullets and this method gives me good SDs (The bullet grip
is good and consistent with nothing inside the neck.

If the cases are sized, de-burred, trimmed, turned, Annealed and cleaned properly you should not have any problems.

Just the way I do it.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks. My process is similar. I just shot 40 rounds of processed ammo and did not have any problems. Maybe a little grippy seating the bullets but it did not have any ill effects.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.