Wet tumbling brass

This is what I use made it myself. Has timer so I can run it 20 min ,1hour, 2 hours or 3 hours that way it shuts down by itself.
Dawn dish soap or car wash soap little lemon shine. Also use distilled water. Bigger sized stainless steel pins so they don't get aught in flash hole. Before on the right after the left. I can do several hundred 223, 308, 6.5 creedmoor at a time.

View attachment 173967

View attachment 173965
Nice - where did you get the container? What RPM is the motor?

I bought a rock tumbler from harbor freight for under a hundred. It has two vessels. Great for segregating your brass. It needed to be lubed well. Been using it for years with pins. Then I spread the brass out on a towel with a rolled end and I blow them dry with a hair dryer. Works great for my volume of cases.

Hornady. Best going of the three I've seen or used.

Homemade from small concrete mixer and 5 gallon bucket is close second, but I don't let my brass build up enough to need that much capacity.

Nice - where did you get the container? What RPM is the motor?
RPM around 30 look online as I can't remember off the top of my head it is a 2gallon one they make several and machine to turn them to but they are expensive. I believe I paid around 125.00 but t has been over 3 years ago. Look up tumblers for polishing. I also used green PVC pipe from Lowe's with white end cap and black rubber ent that could be taken on and off to fill. But you nneed to cut 1" PVC in have and make 4 pieces to agitate the pins. Here is where I bought my barrel #4 size. www.gesswein.com/p-1300-motorized-rotary-tumbler-barrels.aspx This barrel will last a life time. More expensive now but you won't beat the toughness. I can polish 500 easy of 223 brass probably as much of 6.5. 308, etc.

Last edited:
Jim: how often to you need to grease the axle? ;)
I would say I check them every so often give them some grease can't say I have done that more than a couple times. You see that large container that was just couple tumbles.. This tumbler I made will do a bunch I don't count them I just put about ten hand fulls in 5 lbs of pins gallon of water table spoon or so of what I use is car wash soap or dawn with limi shine about thumb nail worth but I use distilled water cuts way down on water spots and is what 99 cents a gallon. If it is a bright warm day I set them out side to dry but have since bought a dryer and use it. Used to lay them out if it was evening on a towel and put a blower fan on the mouth of cartridges facing the blower it worked fine two but would have to remember to go turn it off before going to bed. Maybe I will make a video of my tumbler I made .

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.