Sticky bolt conundrum

RustyRick

I've been reloading for many, many years and understand, and can recognize pressure issues. However, I've been handed a Model 660 Remington in a 6.5 Magnum, 18 inch barrel (carbine). My brother and I owned 2 of these rifles for 35 yrs. I sold mine many years ago because same problem and the magazine is built too short.

The one in my hands now has ALWAYS had a stiff bolt upon ejection of re-loads. Factory loads are NO problem. But re-loads at any load I need a 2x4 to snap the bolt back.

NOT on bolt lift. It's OK lifting the bold, but to pull it back 75% of the time it needs a swat or better said, a tap to get the bolt to slide back.

I'm working on load recipes in groups of 3 and within the same group either 1, or 2, will be stiff and the other no problem.

I'm loading well below the books MAX recommends.
ie Nosler 140 gr AB and 4831 goes from 51 gr to 55. I start at 51 to 53gr
4350 book starts at 49 to 53gr. I load 45 to 48. All loads or groups same issues.

Gun Digest 100 gr Hornady - 4350 starts at 52 to 56, I load 52 to 54.
H380 starts at 47 to 51. I load 47 & 48. Same issues.

possible reasons:
1.brass length
2. not resized to base
3. shoulder not "bumped" far enough
4. chamber issue

And resized as far as die to shell head holder will allow. I should also mention the gun owner also used Lyman die to the same problem that's why he gave it to me to figure out and my L-N-L Hornady dies do the same thing.

Hence I've been suspecting either head space or chamber problems.

Thanks for the input I guess a trip to the gun smith is in order.

If the bolt lift is easy but the bolt is hard to pull back you may have an issue with the rifles bolt cam. When the bolt is lifted it should "cam" back to provide primary extraction force. All of the extracting force should be when you lift your bolt not when you pull it back. I would take it to a gunsmith and have this checked out. New brass starts out smaller so it will spring back a little smaller than reloaded brass will.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.