Stevens 200 LA build questions

mmtx10

Im wanting to build a semi long range rifle from a Stevens 200 long action. Mostly used for deer, pigs, maybe and elk. Not sure what cal yet. Thinking about a 300winmag or 7mag or even a .260(even though its a long action).

The action is a center feed with no mag attatched to it. I am having a hard time finding a stock that will work for it. Any suggestions?

I think I want a McGowen savage prefit light target 24" barrel. Thoughts on that?

Looked at the Stockade but I an just too impatient.

really thinking I am going with the 260. Anyone have any trouble feeding rounds in a long action? Surely somebody has built a 260 from a Stevens 200 before right?

On the stock, I used a B&C Medalist with a Savage Center Feed Action. Had to modify a little. Needed to inlet a little around the trigger and wedge the magazine in the stock like it was in the original stock. It worked well. Not sure on the Mag and Follower for the 260. I built a 280 with a 270 action so not much difference.

Like 57loader said, you can use the older staggered feed action type stock with the centerfeed actions with a little work. You won't have any problems feeding a .260 in a long action. If you want to seat your bullets long it'll help with the magazine length problem. You won't have to change your magazine or follower either.

Thanks for the info fellas. I ordered a Criterion barrel and the full setup from Northland

Ended up just buying a Boyds Tacticool. I really wanted something with an aluminum bedding block. So I guess if I don't like it I can use y'alls advise and modify a medalist.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.