First Build (savage 110 / Stevens 200). Help!

The stockys stocks are great and the fit and finish is second to none its my choice

Great, thanks for the input. I have a msg in with him to see if/when they will offer that for the Savage 110/Stevens 200/

I'm obviously very new at this. What is it that makes one stock better than another? Why are say McMillian "worth" $700+ to soo many people while they don't like paying <$100 for Richard's microfit.

Is it pretty much cosmetic and the amount of work required to make things fit, or are there issues that actually affect performance?

TP

The fitment affect the accuracy as some say the best is with and aluminum bedding block witch the McMillan have I think but some say you can do just as good with glass bedding and some even glass bed the aluminum bedding blocks? ??

Im going to put a stop to this.
what are you thinking of as far as the weapon goes?
youve got to listen to what the weapon tells you.
as far as triggers go, buy a trigger tool. go buy/rent/steal papers that will GIVE you the needed -knowledge- to sort out your trigger. a pound? 95 percent of the people out there are happy with 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 # pull. seriously, are you ready for a pound pull? 16 oz of pull? also think about buying a CD that will tell you about triggers. I maybe crazy, but I know the difference between pulls. dont give the gun to a neighbour that can do the job. youll
be sorry. if nothing else, and 50-75 bucks, take it to a gunsmith. youll hear from him, the same as Im telling you now.
------
I dont like spending money. havent got enuff. Im sure youre in the same boat.
are you ready to spend some money? Im not talking about weapons, Im talking about money. use the money wisely.
-----
stocks. ok, youve got one already. use it. WHEN THE NEEDS OVERCOME THE WANTS. listen closely. a girlfriend, a wife, kids? they will tell you. ???
a dollar bill will tell you.
ok, enuff. use a dollar bill to tell you if you need to take out matl from the stock
to have enuff clearance to the recoil lug. a piece of dowel 6-8" wrapped in
sandpaper, 120-240 grit. wood, laminate, or black plastic? wood? seal it with the sealer(money, see above). plastic? dont worry about it.
fitting the action in the stock. should move freely, not much, but move. Im talking about side to side. doesnt move? use dykem blue on the steel/ss
action. fit it. remove it. look where it rubs. sand paper on a file, dowel, whatever it takes, NOT your hammer and cold chisel. it will take 1 time, it will take 60 times, but your after it so it moves, side to side. now you call brownells 1800-471-0015 to order -stuff-. acraglas-#081-033-002AD, $25.99,
and acra-release-#081-028-000AD, $31.99. savage arms 10 thru 116 series rifle-#050-000-056AD, $39.95. bedding, scoping, crowning the rem 700-
#866-000-003AD, $59.99(I know its not a savage, but you can use it.) + $15-
20 shipping. all said, all done, $150.00, not even installed yet. hows that for spending money? see above.
now look around. swabbs, tape, 2-3 cardboard boxes(empty), hand stuff, an area to do this, etc, etc, etc. by now, the -stuff- from iowa has come.
READ. WATCH. watch some more. any questions? watch again. and again.
I learned something, you will too. watch them untill you believe youve already done it.
I dont know if acker has short cut the info. I bought mine when the tapes
were the thing. never seen the dvds.
never did the taping thing. I never did the car wax thing. spray the parts, NOT
the stock. if you forget to spray the 2-3 screws, youll be in trouble. I did.
luckily, I pulled the screws out, cleaned them, sprayed, and put them back.
THINK. THIMK.
you have a gun. shoot it. go have fun with it.

I don't understand most of what 1000yardshooter said. Even what I did understand didn't apply to your build.

The Stevens 200 comes with a non-adjustable trigger. The only improvement that can be made is replacing the spring wire. A better option would be to get a Savage 3 screw trigger and a new spring wire. I've had very good luck adjusting them to a good crisp hunting weight. The only two aftermarket triggers that I would use would be the Rifle Basix Sav-2 or the SSS Competition trigger.

The Stevens 200 only comes with a crap plastic stock in grey or tan. It is not worth bedding or messing with. Decent stocks like you've already found make it a no brainer.

Forget all the crap from Brownells he was talking about too. You don't need any of it. There are much better ways to learn about working on the Savage and Stevens rifles. And better bedding supplies.

I don't understand most of what 1000yardshooter said. Even what I did understand didn't apply to your build.

The Stevens 200 comes with a non-adjustable trigger. The only improvement that can be made is replacing the spring wire. A better option would be to get a Savage 3 screw trigger and a new spring wire. I've had very good luck adjusting them to a good crisp hunting weight. The only two aftermarket triggers that I would use would be the Rifle Basix Sav-2 or the SSS Competition trigger.

The Stevens 200 only comes with a crap plastic stock in grey or tan. It is not worth bedding or messing with. Decent stocks like you've already found make it a no brainer.

Forget all the crap from Brownells he was talking about too. You don't need any of it. There are much better ways to learn about working on the Savage and Stevens rifles. And better bedding supplies.

That's about what I'm looking to do. I may bed the factory stock just for practice. I've never done it, so I wouldn't care about ruining that stock.

Where can I get the 3 screw triggers? I called Jim and Northlad and he's out.
I'd rather get one of those and save coin over buying the SSS, but I've had no luck.

I made a factory tupperware stock with devcon bedding shoot .25"@100. Hated the grip angle, short length of pull and willingness to twist forearm if pushed on so I changed the stock but for top shelf accuracy.......it worked.

I made a factory tupperware stock with devcon bedding shoot .25"@100. Hated the grip angle, short length of pull and willingness to twist forearm if pushed on so I changed the stock but for top shelf accuracy.......it worked.

I use a stock plastic stock too. It's on my lightweight walk around gun, currently a 7mm-08. It's also very accurate, but I have to rember and work around its limitations.

Great! I was hoping to hear something like that. So it is possible and worth the work to learn some gunsmith skills anyway. What else did you do? Did you stiffen it at all or add weight?

TP

Nope. I just made some room for devcon with my dremel, taped up front and sides of recoil lug, taped over trigger cut out in the action. waxed it up, spackled devcon steel putty in, bolted her down, wiped off the excess and held my breath till the next morning. Worked great! Still felt cheap, did not fit me real well and still twisted the front with very little pressure. But......... it shot great.

To stiffen the forearm up you cut the cross webs out and devcon in some steel rods.

There is a thread here about an axis stock that is the same principal

Bedding an Axis Rifle

Here is a link to savageshooters that shows it to

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.