Steel

Lee Deming

Friend built a steel gong platform and put a 10" AR 500 gong on it. I have spent a little time shooting at steel and was shocked at how much fun it was.

My gong doesn't ring like the ones at the range.

Is it because the target itself is suspended by chain?

Help the newcomer, please.

something is dampening the vibrations. The vibrations are what makes the sound. The bullet striking the plate make the vibrations. Elementary, I know. It is most likely whatever is different about how they are suspended.

Friend built a steel gong platform and put a 10" AR 500 gong on it. I have spent a little time shooting at steel and was shocked at how much fun it was.

My gong doesn't ring like the ones at the range.

Is it because the target itself is suspended by chain?

Help the newcomer, please.
If your stand for it is wood, the wood is soaking up the vibrations like mine does.

Yep chains sound much different. I have some done in chains and others with eyelet. And some with hinges all sound a bit different. I'm sure the actual steel matters also. Like all metal I'm sure they have different blends of AR

Yep chains sound much different. I have some done in chains and others with eyelet. And some with hinges all sound a bit different. I'm sure the actual steel matters also. Like all metal I'm sure they have different blends of AR
Okay, thanks. Will try some other material for the suspension. Maybe nylon.

Rubber belting works great to suspend steel plates, cut strips out of an old mud flap and punch holes on the ends

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.