Checking steel

Toomanytracks

11979cw.jpg

I just finished up some steel targets and had to test them out. I was shooting some test loads. 6.5x284 norma 140 vld. It was not the best day 15-20 mph constant with gusts 30 ish no wind meter Northeast WY. Its an 18x10 target with a 1 mil red sqr. This is a 5 shot group with 2 powders. 2 with 7828ssc and 3 with H4831sc. The far left splatter is 7828 and the second is somewhere in the mix of four. The steel is ar 400 that i pick up form a buddy. At 300 yds you get holes with 130 AB and 210 vld

QUOTE]jpg

Last edited:
looks good. nice group.
food for thought, if you mounted the targets on a "swing" so they swivel back and forth or just hung from chains you prob wouldn't blow holes in the plate.:D
just a thought.

Let see some pics of the steel with the holes in it! Both front and back. I've seen one piece of AR500 where a bullet punched it. It looks like a paper punch made a hole in it. Would love to see if your steel acted the same.

We have R400, but it is 5/8" thick. At 90yds a 300SMK putts a pock mark in it, but won't go through. I have a feeling if it was thinner it would have.

Tank

I just got some new AR500 targets and shot them yesterday. The targets are 12x12 squares, 3/8" thick. They were shot from 300-600 yards with a 7wsm shooting barnes tsx and 168vld, and with my 300win mag shooting 210vld and 208Amax at 2880fps. All they did was knock the paint off, no craters, dents or anything. In fact, after repainting the targets you could not tell where the impacts were at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts