checking volume of brass

Steve Sheasly

It is important to me to separate my once fired brass not by manufacturer or by weight (you can assume that I have done everything to the brass to make it uniform, concentric etc..) but by volume. assuming the case is in good shape and not abused volume is the only thing that will affect the accuracy. Weight is not volume and has zero effect on the powder burn characteristics threfore pressures. So lets just look at measuring volume.

I am using alcohol over live primers to measure volume. I have a methodology that has given me 100 percent repeatability for any specific case measured. My question is has anyone fired a primer that has been soaked in 70% isopropyl alcohol (yes I realize the other 30 percent is water) I did not have any 200 proof alcohol, I am awaiting an answer from CCI to see if this will damage their primers or not and for what type of non viscus liquid will work. I know this is a bit unOrthodox but if I can get repeatable volumes this way and the primers are not hurt it will keep me from having to machine a precision primer plug. I do not like the ones on the market besides it changes the volume (just a hair but it does change it) the primer used to fire the cartridge will be the saem on in the volume calc.

I agree with you this is why I have only done one. I am curious about CCIs reply and the reason for it.
your logic is reasonable -- why waste an $18k guided hunt on a .002 cent primer. But if there is no chance alcohol will affect the primer then why replace them. I do not live far from CCI and can actually go discuss this face to face with an application engineer. I will post the reply.

K & M Precision Shooting Products LLC. sells nice primer pocket plugs in both large and small primmer pockets. I got a pair and they work very well.

Jim

I have had multiple brass manufacturers tell me that I could not get an accurate measure of volume by weighing. I have weighed large quantities and checked volume in the exact same cartridges and the es and sd of weights and volume(measured with water) was almost identical. When the weights were not consistent the volumes were not consistent and the es and sd was near identical between the measurement methods. Likewise when weights were good volume was good. Do what makes you feel good but I will stick with weight sorting. I have found using Norma, Nosler, and Lapua this is not needed. I do not think that is new to anyone. I also found with certain cartridges like the 7WSM or 6.5 Creedmoor it really did not matter.

I have had multiple brass manufacturers tell me that I could not get an accurate measure of volume by weighing. I have weighed large quantities and checked volume in the exact same cartridges and the es and sd of weights and volume(measured with water) was almost identical. When the weights were not consistent the volumes were not consistent and the es and sd was near identical between the measurement methods. Likewise when weights were good volume was good. Do what makes you feel good but I will stick with weight sorting. I have found using Norma, Nosler, and Lapua this is not needed. I do not think that is new to anyone. I also found with certain cartridges like the 7WSM or 6.5 Creedmoor it really did not matter.
good information thank you. I have 100 rounds of Lapua for my .338LM should get here today.

Just use spent primers or deprime and replace the new primers. If you're going to this effort, you shouldn't fret over price of replacing the primers. I wouldn't load and shoot primers that had been exposed to alcohol.
Spent primers are a pain have to reload them after press is prepped. I think I like the 21st century product. Thanks for he comment though.

I am using alcohol over live primers to measure volume. I have a methodology that has given me 100 percent repeatability for any specific case measured. My question is has anyone fired a primer that has been soaked in 70% isopropyl alcohol (yes I realize the other 30 percent is water) I did not have any 200 proof alcohol, I am awaiting an answer from CCI to see if this will damage their primers or not and for what type of non viscus liquid will work.

Seriously?
It is a hobby, so if that's an enjoyable investment of time...

Just fire your rubbing alcohol soaked primer in your chamber outside, after pouring out the alcohol. Get your answer much faster than from CCI.

You posted your hands never touch any of your primers in a separate thread (supposedly due to concern over contaminating the primers), but now you're interested in soaking them in rubbing alcohol? Something backwards about this.

Seriously?
It is a hobby, so if that's an enjoyable investment of time...

Just fire your rubbing alcohol soaked primer in your chamber outside, after pouring out the alcohol. Get your answer much faster than from CCI.

You posted your hands never touch any of your primers in a separate thread (supposedly due to concern over contaminating the primers), but now you're interested in soaking them in rubbing alcohol? Something backwards about this.
I know. I found a way to accurately measure volume of a case. If CCI comes back and says alcohol is ok it will save me from buying primer hole plugs. I am just ignorant at this time of the affect of alcohol on a primer but I have my suspicions and they are directly in line with your line of thinking. Yep I am retired and have some time to spend on this and like doing it. Getting ready to head south for the winter in a few days it also gives me something to do in our winter home.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts