steel practice targets

porkchop401

Hey fellas , I wastched a video on gunwerks for a DIY steel target useing used disc blades, Has anybody tried this to see how it will hold up? I realize the mild steel used for a hole cover will take a beating but how does it fair against say a 300 gr 338 slug out past 500 yrds. Also the local steel dealer offered to cut me a 20" gong out of AR 400 1/2 inch thick for $130 I am just not sure if the ar400 will hold up nearly as well as ar500.
let me here about it fellas

i shoot a 18" disc blade with my 7mm rem mag. At 800 yards it hardly dented the steel. at 500 it went straight through it like nothing. i find the discblades at the junk yard so I get them for free and i'm happy with them.

Liltank and I have a 5/8" piece of R400 that we regularly shoot at with 338 cal 300gr pills, and it has handled it just fine. Infact we even shot at it at 90 yards with my Lapua and all it did was put a couple of light craters in it.. I think you will be just fine with the 1/2" pice of steel you have access too. The nice thing about the R500 stuff is you can get it thinner and lighter.. You should look into the caldwell magnum steel target with the killzone plate I have one and they are nice. I havn't used it yet but one person could set it up. Hope this helps you..

Hey fellas , I wastched a video on gunwerks for a DIY steel target useing used disc blades, Has anybody tried this to see how it will hold up? I realize the mild steel used for a hole cover will take a beating but how does it fair against say a 300 gr 338 slug out past 500 yrds. Also the local steel dealer offered to cut me a 20" gong out of AR 400 1/2 inch thick for $130 I am just not sure if the ar400 will hold up nearly as well as ar500.
let me here about it fellas

Gotta link to that video?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.