State Arms Big Bertha?

COWBOYBUCK

I'm thinking of getting a State Arms Big Bertha 50 BMG. Does anyone have one? How do you like it?

http://
Q122Blg.jpg

Make sure you research how much it cost to shoot and reload it. My buddies shoot in competition with custom 50's and they are not cheap. Dies, presses, primers and bullets cost a lot. You could probably google the name of that gun and find some links about it telling how people like it. Matt

Make sure you research how much it cost to shoot and reload it. My buddies shoot in competition with custom 50's and they are not cheap. Dies, presses, primers and bullets cost a lot. You could probably google the name of that gun and find some links about it telling how people like it. Matt

I already did that, I was hoping someone here who may have hands on experience. Thank you though.

States Arms calling a gun Big Bertha was just plain funny= Their all big LOL
The one on the left was a kit gun and the right an early big bertha in 375/50 BMG aka MachV. They shoot alright but are shellholder bolts that are very balky. The fishgill brake and the weight make it easy to shoot....off the ground or bench.
These two are long since gone as they cost too much to own/shoot than they are worth IMHO
verminthumperboomer.JPG

The one on the left was a kit gun and the right an early big bertha in 375/50 BMG aka MachV. They shoot alright but are shellholder bolts that are very balky. The fishgill brake and the weight make it easy to shoot....off the ground or bench.
These two are long since gone as they cost too much to own/shoot than they are worth IMHO
verminthumperboomer.JPG

Could you give some info on that .375/50? What kind of velocities with what bullets and what barrel length? What powder did you use? Thanks

With its very short barrel life I didn't shoot it much. The ballistic charts showed it having a PBR of 600 yards on a deer with a 250 grain Barns....the problem was the group was 10'
Klaus was rumored to get 5300 fps out of it but I never got near that with W860 and back then there where no long rang bullets that would hold up.
This round was way over my head back then and still not very viable today.

5300 fps! wow thats alot:D. Did you ever chrono your loads? sorry for getting off topic, this round just sounds really interesting. How short of barrel life?

Less than 600 is what I was told. The most I ever got out of the 250 grain barns was 4750 but the groups where god awfull

I have Matt, I just thought maybe someone here may have hands on experience with them. The rounds are expensive, they are about the same as for my Smith&Wesson 500 Magnum, but I love shooting them.

I wish I could shoot well enough and be able to afford to compete like your friend, but I'm a pretty good shot, but nothing like those guys.

Thank you for the heads up though.

verminthumperboomer.JPG

Very nice rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.