Starting out and looking for tips n opinions

Hookturnr

Hey guys! I've been working my way into LRH for about the last year or so and was wondering if there's anything you guys think I should look into. My rigs are as follows:

Rem 700 stainless in 300 RUM sitting in a bell n carlson medalist A2 with a nikon buckmasters 6-18 mildot clamped down with leupold 10MOA base and rings...handloading 93.0 gr retumbo behing NOS200AB for 0.625 avg groups at 100 going 3120 avg. 10 ft from the muzzle.

Also shooting a rem 700 LV in 204 ruger with a 5-15 bushnell legend mildot...factory ammo works best for 0.75" avg.

I've done a bunch of reading through the forums and picked up lots of tips....I'm shooting close to 1/2MOA when I do my part and that's most of the time.

I recently picked up a bushnell arc1200 LRF..will this do the job?

I have been plinking with the 22LR over 100 yds for cheap practice reading wind and I think I'm getting there. Any further suggestions on equipment? Anything you guys think i should change with my current rigs? I probably get 100 rds. downrange every couple weeks between the big n little guns and I know there is no substitute for practice...so i just keep plugging. My biggest obstacle lately has been finding somewhere in southwest PA to go long but I have found a couple places to get out to 500.

Enough being long winded....Any input is welcome though!

Thanks in advance
~Adam~

Sounds like you've got the basics that you need. Accurate Rifle and Rangefinder. The new handheld wind meters are nice, and so is a ballistic program, but neither is absolutely neccessary if you practice and record/learn from your practice sessions.

Sounds like all you need to do is get out and start shooting beyond 100 yds like the 500 yd ranges you mentioned.

Good Luck, have fun!

Looks like an excellent start! Have you check your SD and ES to make sure you have good tight numbers, these will kick your butt at long range! Also an anti cant device make thing more consistent, get it set and trust it!

You just gotta take it out and shoot the heck out of it !!! gun)

Your more than likely going to be able to reach beyond the Bushnell Arc 1200 fairly fast, I've used one and it was better than nothing but my range was well beyond it fast, but it is a heck of a lot better than nothing!

I have the Bushnell 1500 and the Leica and as far as readings the Bushnell is very accurate when it reads. So I wouldn't worry about the range finder.
The only problem with your set up is the rings and bases. I had problems with my 300 win mag using Leupold mounts. Using heavy bullets it sheared off two sets. I thought the first set may have been mounted wrong but when the second set went I changed to Warne bases and rings and never regretted it.
Have you bedded it? That would help your consistentcy.
Really sounds like you are headed in the right direction especially with the practice.

THanks for the input guys!
I have considered both an anti cant and angle cosine indicator but haven't found them for a 1" tube yet.

The mount and rings....couple hundred rounds downrange using 200gr bullets and haven't had a problem....figured I wasn't gonna fix it if it wasn't broke. If it does become an issue..then badger ordinance it will be.

The rangefinder...an upgrade will be along in the future but this was a christmas gift from the wife(gotta love a girl that buys you the longest sensing rangefinder she can find and then a new set of field glasses to boot!):D that has to see some more use before another one comes home.

I have been looking at my SD and ES looks decent with my current loads. Still tinkering with my loads a bit

I haven't bedded it as the B&C has a full length aluminum bedding block and the HS is pillar bedded. Both seem to fit the stocks well...anyone think additional bedding necessary?

THanks for the input guys!
I have considered both an anti cant and angle cosine indicator but haven't found them for a 1" tube yet.

The mount and rings....couple hundred rounds downrange using 200gr bullets and haven't had a problem....figured I wasn't gonna fix it if it wasn't broke. If it does become an issue..then badger ordinance it will be.

The rangefinder...an upgrade will be along in the future but this was a christmas gift from the wife(gotta love a girl that buys you the longest sensing rangefinder she can find and then a new set of field glasses to boot!):D that has to see some more use before another one comes home.

I have been looking at my SD and ES looks decent with my current loads. Still tinkering with my loads a bit

I haven't bedded it as the B&C has a full length aluminum bedding block and the HS is pillar bedded. Both seem to fit the stocks well...anyone think additional bedding necessary?

Lucky guy to have a gal that will buy you stuff like that! Hold on to that one.

I've got an HS stock that was factory bedded too. Never felt the need to do anything else to it other than trigger replacement. (Jewel Trigger set at 10 oz)
That particular rifle shoots great, better than I can. Now that you mention, I haven't noticed any ACD's for 1" tubes either......?? But they get important for the stuff thats way out there.

Somewhere laying around I have a 1" ACI.

A word of advice. Don't burn up the RUM throat. Practice with the 204 and 22 LR.

Finding a good place to long range hunt is a feat and you have to know what you are looking for and then you have to find out if it holds deer. A south facing slope is good in the morning but terrible after about 10:00 on sunny days.

My brother has a 300 win mag Sendoro with the bedding block and we bedded it and it shrunk the groups almost in half.
Look at the Warne rings and bases. They are top notch and made of steel, no movement in those babies. All I use now after several issues with many other mounts.
If you go with a 20moa base you can mount an anti-cant level to it.
Brownells has an anticant level in 1" rings.
Horus vision makes an ACI in 1" HORUS VISION ASLI (Angle Slope Level Indicator): Mounting Solutions Plus (MSP)
Shoot straight.

Thanks for pointing me to a couple ACD's and ACI! As for my practice..most rounds with the 22LR followed by the 204 n then usually 10-20 per outing with the RUM. I feel there just isn't any substitute for pulling the trigger on the big boomer....besides, it's FUN! I keep the round count down but I do shoot it regularly. I also have a couple 25-06's that get a decent amount of range time too.
Being as my RUM is staying sub-MOA , don't think i'm gonna bother bedding it right now...maybe after the rebarrel that I'm sure will be in the next year or two.....
Still haven't found that magical single digit SD load but they're in the teens...still got a few things to try with them though...haven't messed with seating depth and only used CCI n Fed primers so far...only 2 powders as well...RL25 and Retumbo...RL25 gets a great load going at 75 degrees but goes to hell when it's 90 and not much better at 30....the retumbo seems to be staying pretty consistent.
Looks like I've got a little more shopping to do
THanks,
Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts