Start Of Attempt At Accuracy in SKS

DONTSTROKEME

Anybody here tried to get accuracy out of the 7.62X39mm in a SKS? Not that it will be great but it's a winter project to get more accurate at long ranges.

Any ideas or loads would be appreciated.

Joe Oakes

I'm no expert, but I don't think that I've ever seen a sentance with accuracy and SKS in the same sentance.

If I were you shoot the sks for fun, and buy an AR-15. I've got a AR with a 18" krieger barrel on it and that thing can shoot 50gr NBT's with a load of varget behind them!!! In fact that is the first gun I have ever shot a one hole group at a 100yds with.

good luck, and keep us posted with how the sks project goes, sorry i couldn't be more help.

Joe,
Unfortunately he is right. I am sure that there are some out there which will shoot pretty tight compared to others. Hell mine shot great using the Norinco ammo I used to be able to get. However, it cannot be had anymore. I have been using some Wolf stuff lately which will hold a decent pattern at 50 yds. LOL

The main problem is the bores of the barrel and the diameters of the bullets hardly ever match up. These things were made for spraying and praying not driving tacks.

They are a hoot to shoot though and are hell on wheels for hog hunting. We genrally have at least one with us most of the time when we head out to check on things. They have taken their fair share of the pork over the past years.

Good luck on your project.

They suck for accuracy ...just like the Mini-14!
I have never ever seen either do better than 3-4 MOA at 100 yds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have a Russian "52" SKS that will flat shoot! With the open sights and marginal trigger, i can put them into a 2" spot. All i did was clean it up and shoot. I was real surprised to say the least. The Chink ones i have shot were no more than pop corn machines.

I've never tried to accurize an SKS but I would imagine you could do the following:

-Get a unfinished hand guard and give it a tight fit to the lower stock thus keeping the barrel in the same position at all times.

-Try to fit the stock to the stock retaining peice under the gas block to give the stock/action/barrel a tighter fit.

- Get a trigger job.

- Bed the action.

- Firelap the **** out of the barrel

- Reload your own rounds for it

- Attach a "Tech Site TS200" sight which is more like the M-14 sights, and will also give you a longer sight radius.

- Install a recoil buffer

Thats about all I can think of, but I doubt your going to get any kind of real accuracy out of it, although I wish you the best with your project.

I have Russian, Chineese, Romanian, Albanian, and Yugo SKSs sitting in storage.

The Yugo looked like the best bet, as the bore is not Chrome lined and looks like new.

I followed the instructions on the intnernet on how to do a trigger job on an SKS. That worked out.

I followed the instruction on the internet on how to glass bed an SKS. That looks nice.

I got a cast steel Choate SKS scope mount, followed the instructions and drilled and tapping into the receiver. It makes a nice solid mount.

I put on my Leupold 40X scope I use for testing rifles.

I hand loaded some very concentric 7.62x39mm ammo.

I went to the range and got 6.0 moa.

I would point out that the same shooter, scope, and techniques with a surplus Mauser have produce 0.4 moa in 257Roberts Ackley Improved.

I was beginning to suspect that the bolt, bolt carrier, and gas pistol, all being off center, are starting to move before the bullet exits.

I turned off the gas [a Yugo grenade launch feature], so it fires as a repeater, and not semi auto.

Still 6.0 moa with the SKS.

My AR-15 are semi auto and have no trouble averaging 1.4 moa.

What does it all mean?
I wasted my time trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, ....or I am just too dumb to accurize an SKS.

Do a chamber cast. If yours are like mine, there is no throat per se. Just a smooth pipe before the rifling starts. The chamber is designed to cause the rifle to spray.

If the action and stock are locked up rock solid, putting on a barrel with a normal chamber will get the SKS shooting accurately.

Of course, if rebarreling, you have the option to use a 308 bore barrel and use some better bullets.

The Chicom SKS I have shot with Norc surplus ammo shot better then your 6MOA though. Usually 2 to 3MOA out of the box. You might want to try another rifle.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.