Standard cartridge accuracy in A.I.

rtfletcher

I have a Rem 700 adl that I want to do a remage prefit in 6.5-06. If I went the a.i. route, will standard cartridges shoot accurately and to the same p.o.i. as the a.i.? The reason I ask is because of the availability and cost of primers and I would prefer not to waste them fire forming if i didn't have to. Thanks.

It can certainly happen but there's a velocity loss. I agree with the price of components you should at least get some quality practice.

I don't recall if there was a POI shift but I don't really concern myself with that. Things Shift a little during load development. Once done a few shots and clicks should have you dotting the i's.

Here's 25 shots fire forming a 22-250AI years ago.

Screenshot_20240102_125427_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240102_125404_Photos.jpg

I used factory 280 Remington cor lokt for sight in , barrel break in and fire forming to 280 AI. It shot very well and wouldn't hesitate to take the factory 280 ammo hunting at moderate ranges after verifying POI which I believe I had to tweak once using my hand loads. I can't remember exactly but was within a few inches at 100.

I found my loads for fireforming were very accurate in my 257AI, however, the 22-250AI was not as accurate as full house formed brass. I have never run full power or factory to fireform.
My 22-250 lost about 80fps fireforming in the AI chamber and my 257AI lost about 50fps. My 375 Weatherby loses a minimum of 100fps when shooting H&H rounds in that chamber.
POI is very similar in all 3 but not exactly the same, just as different loads will print to different POI.

Cheers.

Last edited:
There is no loss of accuracy/precision using non-improved ammo. You will lose some velocity and you will likely have to readjust zero after doing full load work on the fireformed brass.

I have a Rem 700 adl that I want to do a remage prefit in 6.5-06. If I went the a.i. route, will standard cartridges shoot accurately and to the same p.o.i. as the a.i.? The reason I ask is because of the availability and cost of primers and I would prefer not to waste them fire forming if i didn't have to. Thanks.

Whether the standard cartridge will shoot accurately or not is dependent on you the shooter, your load and the precision with which the rifle was made. You can't escape those variables. Full house loads will lose some velocity due to the expansion of the original case up to the 'improved' size as long as the loads are safe in the first place.

I have used a number of the standard cartridges for hunting some target shooting while fireforming those cases up to the 'improved' version. There is nothing better than working on cases while shooting some minor matches with a good load.

The only improved case which didn't work out for me was the Nosler .280 Improved. Case quality was low when compared to other manufacturers cases. Too bad really since it would have saved those primers you're thinking about.

:)