SA Cartridge in a LA Questions

pburton

I have been considering building a 7SAUM or 6.5 GAP 4S. With long, high bc bullets, I am not sure I could get the full potential out of either on a short action. My concern is how will they feed from a long action. Should I run them with a detachable mag system? Or am I waisting my time with these cartridges and just go with a 7 rem mag or 264 win mag if I'm going with a long action?

Ive wondered this too. What kind of action are you going to use or planning on using?
A 6.5x284 is used in a long action and really doesn't give much up to the short mags.

I am not sure what action I will go with. I have been looking at Lone Peak ti, Defiance Deviant, or ???
I have a 6.5x284 that is almost complete. So I was leaning more towards the7SAUM

I have been considering building a 7SAUM or 6.5 GAP 4S. With long, high bc bullets, I am not sure I could get the full potential out of either on a short action. My concern is how will they feed from a long action. Should I run them with a detachable mag system? Or am I waisting my time with these cartridges and just go with a 7 rem mag or 264 win mag if I'm going with a long action?

I'd suggest taking a look at Elkaholic's Sherman shortmag line (either 6.5SS or 7SS). They will function in a short action. Results have been pretty impressive.

I'd suggest taking a look at Elkaholic's Sherman shortmag line (either 6.5SS or 7SS). They will function in a short action. Results have been pretty impressive.
I know Rich is working on brass for these. I'm newer to reloading and have been a bit intimidated by taking on one of his cartridges. Although they do look like the answer when wanting to use a short action.

I know Rich is working on brass for these. I'm newer to reloading and have been a bit intimidated by taking on one of his cartridges. Although they do look like the answer when wanting to use a short action.

I hear you on feeling a little intimidated by the process of forming the cases. If I recall correctly, a while back, Rich was selling brass that had been sized from SAUM to SS, but just needed a final fireform in your chamber. That may still be an option while waiting for ADG to start producing his SS brass.

I will not discourage anyone from building whatever they want, but I see this is a waste of a long action.
That's just me.
Makes for a lot more work, expense on modifying a magazine for proper feeding, in the end you would have gotten more horsepower out of a long action cartridge in a long action.
This is only my humble opinion.

I have a 6.5 SAUM on a long action 700. With the metal AI mags i was having a problem with the short case nose diving. But i tried a Magpul AI mag and it feeds perfectly. The metal AI mag has longer feed lips then the Magpul. I think if i trimmed the feed lips it would feed better, but i could be wrong. I did have to open up the Magpul so the fat SAUM case would ride higher in the mag
20180216_134248.jpg

I know a lot of guys are building or have 7 SAUMs in a LA for PRS ELR matches. its a great combo that allows you to seat the long bullets out where they need to be and maximize the case volume. It really depends on what you want to do with it. if you are looking to shoot PRS ELR matches its great as it gives good performance with a lower recoil (back on tgt quicker) and will do better with longer strings of fire. if you are looking for a hunting rifle, I would go with a 28 nosler in a long action.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.